Rabbit has that slight poop smell?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimoomin

Reaction score
I was going to move Grim back inside when I finished building her new hutch, but it started snowing last night so I had to bring her in earlier than expected. She's currently free roaming the kitchen, (she's been outside for so long I don't think she remembers how an indoor bunny should act...), but every time she passes me I get the smell of bunny poop.

It's probably nothing and I'm overreacting, but does anyone know how to get rid of it? My first thought was bath, but I know you're not meant to give rabbits baths (she also refuses to go anywhere near water unless it's to flop her ears in or drink). I got her to stand on her hind legs and there was nothing under her, or on her bottom from what I could see.

give her a butt bath.... its the only type of bath you can give them and put a nice smelling bunny shampoo in and wash her with that :) also is she sprayed? also groom her a lot to get rid of old hair.

I'll see if I can find anything to wash her butt with 😊

Nope she's not spayed yet, that's happening in a few weeks once have got her hutch sorted and I've gotten payed ☺️

From a closer inspection, she has no poop on her at all. Does anyone know a reason why she smelt bad?

yep brokenmermaid is right thats what the butt bath is for :) also a daily groom to make sure you get the yucky fur off that has been stained or is keeping the smell :)

I would give your rabbit a good bath, especially around the butt area. Also, if your rabbit is an outdoor bunny, and there is poop on her butt, flies will come, and lay eggs down there, then she will get maggots and that is a big problem. Make sure her cage is clean, because she could be absorbing the scent of where she is sleeping/living.

If the fur is not soiled at all, have you checked the scent glands to make sure that isn't what you are smelling? The scent glands can get a build up of a waxy substance that sometimes needs to be cleaned out. And the smell can be quite overpowering. Also an unspayed/unneutered rabbit may naturally have a stronger smell due to hormones and an increased need to scent mark.
http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html

If the fur is not soiled, there is absolutely no reason to be giving your rabbit a butt bath. Bathing a rabbit at all is generally not recommended and a butt bath should only be done when it is an absolute necessity due to a very soiled bottom that can't be cleaned up by other methods. And if a rabbit is getting a soiled bottom, then a cause needs to be determined as well, as a healthy rabbit should not have a soiled bottom at all. When a rabbit is kept in clean conditions, a dirty bottom is an indication of a dietary or health related problem, and the rabbit likely needs to be seen by a good rabbit vet.

Bathing of any sort can be very traumatic for some rabbits, even to the point of being fatal. There is also the risk of the rabbit either overheating or becoming hypothermic if the bathing procedure is not done correctly, not to mention the risk of fly strike in warm weather when the rabbits fur is not dried completely. I would not recommend even a butt bath, especially in the wintertime, unless the rabbits bottom was extremely soiled and there was no other way to get it clean, in which case the rabbit also needs to be seen by a vet right away. If it is only lightly soiled, it is much better to use unscented baby wipes or a damp rag to try to clean the soiled fur. Afterwards the fur needs to be completely dried before returning the rabbit to it's enclosure or outdoors.

If a butt bath is necessary due to the fur being very soiled, extreme caution needs to be used and ensuring it is done correctly. It is also very important to make sure the rabbit does not get too cold or hot, keeping a close eye on the rabbits body temp, making sure the rabbit is warm enough until the fur is dried completely. Especially do not put a rabbit back outdoors in cold weather, with even slightly damp fur. The fur needs to be fully dried. And it is best before any bathing is attempted, that the rabbit should immediately be seen by a vet to first address the reason for the dirty bottom. If this cannot be done immediately, the rabbit may need to be temporarily cleaned up and precautions taken for fly strike, if in warm weather.

Latest posts

Back