Rabbit has random diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiantPeanut

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My two rabbit was adopted a few months ago and recently has had random episodes of diarrhea. He’s litter trained but when he has diarrhea, it’s anywhere he’s standing, which leads me to believe it’s uncontrollable. His behavior hasn’t changed at all, he’s still eating and drinking fine and his activity level has not decreased at all. Besides an mess of diarrhea once a week or so, his poop is completely normal. I’ve brought him to the best vet in my area and he is unsure of what could be causing this and needs to run a test on the wet stool sample which I’m having trouble collecting due to the nature of the issue! I was hoping anyone here could give me some insight on what’s going on with my rabbit:( I’ve attached some photos for reference.

Photos didn't attach.

Does he have normal round fecal balls all of the time, most of the time, hardly ever? What is your rabbits exact diet(type and amount of hay, pellets, treats, veggies, greens)? How much does your rabbit weigh approximately, and what color is your rabbit? Has your rabbit ever had a digestive illness in the past? Have you ever seen any signs of worms in the stool?

89B34E14-95A3-4AC6-8F83-4658E9E8DB6F.jpeg 44B83C1D-C52C-4077-BDCF-0082EA98AD54.jpeg A5C7F8E3-6738-408D-AA11-1D308359034D.jpeg BDF79B50-66CF-468D-B891-398BB060E2EB.jpeg I adopted him a few months ago and they had no history of him having digestive issues, and no signs of worms. Other stool is perfectly healthy, vet says they show nothing to be concerned about. And it’s normal all the other times besides once or twice a week where it’s just completely liquid. He’s a brown flemish giant mix, from what the rescue has said and is 8-9 lbs. He gets a little less than half a cup of pellets in the morning and about 1-2 cups of greens at night, unlimited timothy hay and water. The photos should have attached correctly this time, I hope! Thank you so much for any insight, I’m really worried for him!!

There are a few things I would try. First I would try a general deworming using fenbendazole 20mg/kg, once then repeat in 10 days. You can get it from your vet or online, either the panacur for rabbits(amazon if in the US) or safeguard goat dewormer liquid.

If that didn't fix it then I would look at something in the diet possibly being the cause, possibly related to cecal dysbiosis. He may either be sensitive to the pellets or one of the greens. I would first try reducing the greens to 1/2 cup for a couple days. If no change I would reduce to 1/4 cup for a couple days. If no change I would remove completely for 3-4 days. If that doesn't fix the watery poop then I would gradually add the greens back in and try the pellets next. Same process, gradually reduce to 1/4 cup, but for 3-4 days. If no change, reduce to 1/8 cup for 3-4 days. If no change remove completely for a week or two. And always free feeding hay. If that doesn't help, the only other option I could see is removing both pellets and greens for a couple weeks, or maybe even trying a different type of hay like orchard grass. It's rarely ever the hay, but there are instances where a rabbit has a particular sensitivity to a certain type of hay.
https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

Latest posts

Back