Rabbit Harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
There was an interesting article onrabbit harnessesin the last issue of the ARBA Domestic Rabbits magazine. The authors, Mandell &Whitfield, tested and rated 4 types of harnesses and published their results. Their top pick was the Hagen Adjustable Rabbit Harness and Lead Strap which they found easy to put on and was well designed. The 2 middle picks were the Comfort Harness and Stretchy Stroller from Super Pet (the one with the mesh between these traps). The authors found this model awkward and ill-fitting. The other mid-pick was Premier's Small Dog Harness. The head strap was not adjustable and had to be pulled over the head. The last pick, and one the authors didnot recommend, was the Figure 8 Cat Harness. This harness is one wemost commonly see used for rabbits, but may easily come off or bind.

Great article, but I did feel that their misspelling, "dulap" (for dewlap), did slightly erode their credibility and technical knowledge on rabbits.

Pam

hi there pam

thanks for the infomation about harnesses

i was just wondering is there a website for the top leash

its just my son is wanting one to take lucy for a stroll

They did mention how easily buns can bite through web strapping used in many harnesses and leashes, as well. I dealt with the latter by purchasing light weight chain at Home Depot and adding a snap fitting at one end and a leather loop handle at the other end. That also permitted me to create exactly the length of chain I desired and was not as heavy wearing on the rabbit as the average dog leash was.

Gotta love you, Pam! Ya got that teacher mentality. You're a natural.

Buck

hi pan

just typed in the hagen website and they do

do the leashes

but which one wou;ld u say would be suitable for lucy

she is 12 weeks 2day

Buck Jones wrote:
Gotta love you, Pam! Ya got that teacher mentality. You're a natural.

Buck
:) Thanks Buck. Below is our future"Rabbits Only" veterinarian, Matthew, who is intently examining a sheep brain.

Pamnock, can my kids come to your school? That isso awesome that your son is learning so much about animal anatomy atsuch a young age. It is so true that the best way to learn is throughexperience. That is just too cool! Matthew is such a lucky boy I wouldhave loved to do that kind of stuff when I was little!

Fergi's mom

Matthew has certainly inherited his parent's love for learning!

For those who are not aware -- I home school 3 of my kids age 16, 14& 5. We use Abeka curriculum. Although one of the more expensive curriculums, it is a college prep program and very extensive in language arts (far over and above what my kids wher elearning in public school).

The home schooling also allows the freedom to explore other areas of interest and expand our biology program at home. We have a microscope set up at all times and Matthew loves to participate in the other kids studies of botany, physiology, entomologyand earth science. (I cater it to his age, of course).

He has expressed a desire to compete in the Pennsylvania State Royalty contest in February, so I also include rabbit studies in our curriculum.

There is often a misconception that home schoolers lack in the area of social interaction, however, my kids actually get out and do more than many public school children. It comes very natural to Matthew to get up in front of a group of people and speak, because he's seen me do it so often. I never had very impressive public speakingskills and was always very shy. It was actually my interest in rabbits that forced me to interact and present information. Stephanie has many responsibilities at thechurch including the newsletter, volunteer work, cleaning the church and organizing activities.

It's rather intense here with a house full of type A personalities. Today started out not only with cooking the turkey, but I took the time to catch up on paperwork and research Bible references for my husband's youth ministry. We are certainly a busy bunch!

Well, I could go on forever, but the turkey is nearly done!

Pam

Hagen Adjustable Rabbit Harness and Lead Strap

LOL that is the harness I have, I have 2, one i leave adjusted larger for the bigger buns and one i leave adjusted smaller for the lil guys,and i must say i do love how it fits and adjusts to the bun.however i will be repacing the leash.. they didn't get to it while wearing it, no instead they found it one ay pulled it into their cage and chewed the leash to bits, the amazing part is the harness was attached to the leash they had it with them and left it whole.... go figure... they like the harness and not the leash?? lol On well behaved buns *snicker* I took stormy to pet co one day, he'd been at work with me and i needed to go get something after work, I put him in the seat in the carrage and tied the leash o the middle of the metal behind him,he could stand up look around put his feet on the handle but not fallout of the carrage. he got many complements on what a good boy he was ;)

Over the years I've learned enough about Pam's home schooling efforts to know she is doing a superlative job at it. As a retired teacher my familiarity with home schooling efforts upon the part of parentswas less than impressive. Pam's descriptions of her curriculum has caused me to rethink home schooling and understand its viability.

It most definitely can work with someone like Pam "in front of the class," and I understand better the reasons why one might choose the option of home schooling. I think her children are the better for it, as we professionals seem to have lost control of our ownclassrooms and are subject to the whims andvageries of some politicians' latest hare brained policies or parents who are "experts" because they have attended school at one time or another in their less than illustrious academic past.

To some, the mere fact of having given birth automatically confers some sort of educational genius upon themselves that dilligent study and practice by professionals does not . They think nothing of telling teachers how to do their job, but would not deign to do the same to their plumber, auto mechanic, doctor, nor dentist. I got tired of that.

Suffice it to say, I recommended neither of our two children follow me into the profession, which I believe is a sad commentary upon the state of education in our country. We seem to be fostering a generation of self-absorbed, under achieving, imbeciles, who know very little and could care less and believe they are entitled to the best of everything just because they are so wonderful.

Pam's children, I dare say, will not fit into those categories, and will probably prove to be movers and shakers in the not too distant future. She's making an investment in time, effort, and money that I am sure will pay off in big dividends by having an "educated"family.

Kudos to the Pamela Nocks of this world!

Buck

Thank you for the nice comments Buck. It certainly means a lot coming from you.

I was lucky to have some very dedicated home schooling friends guide me in the right direction and to a superb curriculum.Some are not so lucky, so organized, or so dedicated. It is a very difficult job and takes excellent organizational skills and a love of learning.

Buck Jones wrote:
As a retired teacher my familiarity with home schooling efforts upon the part of parentswas less than impressive.
Buck

I run against the grain by believing there should be more accountability for home schooling families. I have seen some families make a feeble effort at best, to the detriment of their child's education.

Certainly, home schooling is not for everyone, just as public school may not provide the best education for every child.

Pam

How do you find out about the home schooling option? What kind of education do you need to be able to teach your children? Home schooling has always been something I was interested in learning more about and now that my oldest is reaching Kindergarten age it would be nice to know what my options are. I have to agree with Buck about the way the school system seems to be run by politicians who are obviously not truly concerned with our children's education and certainly not their safety. I don't want to have to send my children to a school that has metal detectors and an armed police officer to greet them every morning. They deserve better than that. If you have any info you would like to share with me about home school Pam I would really appreciate it.

Fergi's mom

You can feel free to email me privately for more info. [email protected]

Abeka has an excellent pre-school curriculum that I used for Matthew(he is now taking the kindergarten curriculum). I purchased many of my supplies from Walmart such as foam numbers and letters, dry erase boards, flash cards and foam animals for counting and pattern activities. Abeka also offers many supplies.

The instructing parent must have a high school diploma (in most states). You can also utilize tutors, video tapes and home schooling groups for additional help. I've found internet math gurus to be very helpful in negotiating the perils of Algebra II. Comparative and second hand shopping can help you acquire classroom supplies at reasonable costs. My daughter took her French class on video tape and her high school courses on DVD. Many home schooling families utilize cyber school. I personally don't care for plugging my kids into the computer for their education, and there is great resistance from public schools as they receive the $5000+ bill.

Abeka has an enrollment program so students can receive a high school diploma.

Abeka Academy http://www.abekaacademy.org/default.html

Extra curricular activities and socialization are also very important. There are many local activities kids can get involved in such as church, 4-H, local rec. center, music lessons,dance, gymnastics, etc.

State laws differ. Here are some links to familiarize you with MN state laws:

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/usamn/

http://www.hslda.org/laws/?State=MN

http://www.nhen.org/leginfo/detail.asp?StateCode=Minnesota

Home schoolers with Rabbits Forum:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschooledrabbits/

I find both Pam and Bucks attitudes toward education very interesting. I also am disappointed with public education, as are many of us I think. It is a different world today. Too many politicians. Too many people trying to waive their individual banners for "rights". The teachers lost their"rights" to teach a long time ago when they were forced into becoming baby sitters, parole officers and therapists instead or educators. And all for the winning salary of a McDonald's employee! My son has been in the 99% percentile of national standardized testing since kindergarten.He scored the second highest ACT score in this area last year with a32. He is funny, quick witted, politically sharp, and he could do anything he wanted to do. He started college this fall and went into education.....It's been a difficult decision for me to support.I suppose we will just take it a day at a time.

Raspberry

How appropriate that this post turned into a school topic, lol. I'm obviously a student in one of the public schools. I don't really find our education adequate but that's my opinion. And now the school board has issued a lock out notice today meaning that teachers and students will be locked out the schools as of December 1, 2004 until a time when the school board and the teachers come to an agreement on a contract. I'm quite disappointed in the school board being that we only have 5 weeks of school before final exams. My english, social, and chemistry marks are going to suffer because of it. I'm just hoping it doesn't hold out long and we're back in school soon after.

:shock: Wow!

I'm just coming upon this post now. So much to cover, let me try to remember.

Pamnock, Buck, MyBunnyBoys, RaspberrySwirl, and Fergi,

Buck is quite on when he said that the teachers have lost control ofthe classrooms, and in our case, many times, the politics in our school. Drugs, sex, bullying, fights are so much more in the spot light in schools than they were 30 years ago. I'm not saying it wasn't there,but kids were afraid of getting caught.

There was a time when the teacher would get mad, and the class would respond. These days, the teacher seems to have to know some psychology in order to get the 'oldest child on board'. Authority doesn't concern these kids.

I was taught a completely different lesson as I was growing up than the generation has been today.

It costs $40,000 per year to send your child to the school I work for.Obviously, this isn't just an issue for the middle and low class. It touches all.

Gabby and Pamnock,

Regarding the leashes, I swear, Pam, Gabby was just telling me about getting that leash the other day.

I do need something for Cali. I have no clue where to start. She's 7months and probably over 8 lbs. by now. As you know she's a Flemish Giant.

What should I go to the store and ask for?

Gabby,

Loved the vision of you and your baby showing off in the pet shop.Doesn't that just make you proud as a peacock??? I can't wait to have people get a load of Cali!!

Buck told me if I wanted to get a reaction, to tell them she bites.*giggles* I'm gonna do it - just for a minute or two!! That's Too Hysterical not to. Heck, they'd get dirtier looks from Tucker!

MyBunnyBoys,

I hope the issue at school get worked out sooner rather than later because I'd hate to have you make up for days lost at the end of the year. :?

It's the kids who always suffer.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
I hope the issue at school get worked out soonerrather than later because I'd hate to have you make up for days lost atthe end of the year. :?

It's the kids who always suffer.
We don't make up the time missed. Teachers just cram all the work we miss into less days.

I do think the teachers had the student's at heart, because they've had the right to go on strike within 72 hours notice since September but haven't. I don't think they want to jeopardize our success. And then the school board had to go and announce a lock out. This sucks!

Pam,

Thank you so much for the wealth of knowledge on home schooling. I am a little confused though as to whether or not I need to have a degree. I will have three years college under my belt next semester and will graduate with an associate's degree but I was a high school drop out and I only have my G.E.D. Any idea on how hard the test is to see if you are educated enough to teach your children? I hate reading legal stuff,it still confuses me.

Fergi's mom

Fergi wrote:
Pam,

Thank you so much for the wealth of knowledge on home schooling. I am a little confused though as to whether or not I need to have a degree. I will have three years college under my belt next semester and will graduate with an associates degree but I was a high school drop out and I only have my G.E.D. Any idea on how hard the test is to see if you are educated enough to teach your children? I hate reading legal stuff, it still confuses me.

Fergi's mom
A college degree is not required to home school your ownchildren. My state of PA requires a high school diploma (certainly an associates degree meets the qualifications). You will not be tested. If you need insight on specific parts of the law, I may be able to help. The laws can be somewhat ambiguous, sometimes resulting in confusion for both the public schools and home schooling family. Your school may have a listing of requirements (a sour school does) -- I would start there.

Since you will actually be teaching, a support system can be very helpful to learn successful teaching methods to avoid over saturation,burnout, and refusal to cooperate. It is important to foster a passion and excitement for learning. The patience of a saint is required to get you through those tough days and you will need to be firm, but flexible. Home schooling can be immensely rewarding,but is not for everyone.

Pam

I do have a love of learning, I wish I could just go to college forever and switch majors so I could learn about all the things that excite me (pretty much everything except sports) In the patience department I may be lacking at this time, maybe in the future when I have matured a little more it will be something I can pursue.With the degree I am getting I will have the ability to work from home as a medical transcriptionist, if that is the path I choose to pursue then I will definitely be looking further into the home schooling option. I really appreciate all the of the assistance you have given meand the very helpful links that I will be saving to my favorites. I will also speak with my son's head-start teacher to see if they think I would do a good job at home schooling. I highly value their opinion and know that they would give me their honest opinion. I have been very active in his classroom last year and this year so I have formed a really good bond with both of his teachers. They have made my first experience with the education system a positive one and I am very thankful they are in mine and my child's lives.

Fergi's mom

You'll find that you still have a positive impacton your child's education by working with them at home and sharing the enjoyment of books and learning. I use the enchantedlearning.com site to supplement Matthew's curriculum.

Pam

Latest posts

Back