Rabbit getting thin with runny poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12animaluv34

Reaction score
I have a 3 and a half year old lionhead female rabbit. She is getting thin and is having runny poop. She does not feel to good. She is not spayed.I got her when she was a year and planned on breeding her with my male but i never did.She is eating some and drinking.I gave her some yogert drops. What should i do.

Get her to a vet because that is what she needs, asap, ideally today.

Has she had any diet changes lately? How/what is she eating? drinking? How is she acting?

How long has it been? Don't hesitate to take her to the vet's as rabbits can dehydrate very quickly. Like Flashy asked, any change in diet lately? Any changes in her surroundings?That could have set it off. You should really consider having her spayed asap as well.

For now, you can work on making sure she doesn't get dehydrated. I would get her to drink pedialyte, syringe it to her if she refuses to drink. I would also cut back on all treats containing sugar until she gets better. Hay, hay, and more hay.

I hope she will be feeling better soon:rose:

Okmy vet is closed on sat and sun so i will call monday. No they have all been eating the same food for a VERY long time!!She is acting a little calm butnot that bad.

You might be looking at an emergency situation here, so it might be worth calling your vets to see what they suggest.

Is there any chance she could have eaten something that might have upset her stomach? By accident? Such as chocolate or anything else poisonous?

MsBinky is right about using pedialyte to rehydrate her and if she is not eating, then you will need to look at force feeding her too. Do you have anything like critical care?

Only you can make that decision, but remember if a rabbit is losing weight fast and has diarrhoea, they can go down very hard and very fast and there might not be time later to get him there.

Could you maybe call them, explain the situation and ask what they suggest?

Please DON'T give her yogurt drops!!!!! They are notorious for causing GI stasis (not to all the rabbits that eat it, but, for sure, to rabbits with GI tract issues). Yogurt drops is a junk treat loaded with sugar, which is detrimental to your rabbit's GI health!

Monday may be too late to go to a vet. Rabbits can deteriorate within a few hours. Diarrhea is a life-threatening situation.

Give her hay, the more she eats, the better for her intestines it will be. Since she has diarrhea, don't give her any greens, any fruits, any treats or anything else that can provoke further damage. She should get pedialyte for re-hydration, as diarrhea dehydrates rabbits very fast.

Feed her hay and tell us how she goes. But she does need to see a vet urgently!

Marietta

Thank you Marietta, for posting useful advice. I wasn't sure what to say that could be helpful. So thank you.

Since you are in Mahoning County, there should be emergency vets much closer than 3 hours away. Even going to Akron to Metropolitan Veterinary and Referral shouldn't be much further than an hour and 1/2. Surely their are emergency vet clinics in Youngstown and Canfield? If you bunny is thin and having runny poop, her situation is urgent.

Poland Vet Clinic which is just up the road from you has emergency info on their web page http://www.polandvet.com/site/view/44448_EmergencyInformation.pml;jsessionid=6nc3o4ohkcifg

Craog Clinic in Youngstown also offers emergency care. http://cragovetclinic.com/site/view/52832_HospitalPolicies.pml

Here are some more emergency vets about an hour, more or less, from New Middletown

[size=-1]2680 W Liberty St[/size]
[size=-1]Girard, OH 44420[/size]
[size=-1]
(330) 530-8387‎
http://www.franklinvets.com/site/view/95923_Services.pml

Stark County Vet Emergency [size=-1]2705 Fulton Dr NW[/size]
[size=-1]Canton, OH 44718 [/size][size=-1](330) 452-5116‎ They have rabbit experienced vets[/size][/size]

[size=-1][size=-1]Metro is the best in the state for rabbits and they are in Akron which should be an hour , not much more from you.[/size][/size][size=-1][size=-1]http://www.metropolitanvet.com/[/size][/size]

[size=-1][size=-1]They always have a rabbit vet at the after hours and I have taken 3 of mine there.

[/size][/size]

I'm so glad to hear this!!! We were all concerned about your bun! This is a nice opportunity to make her get used to eating plenty of hay, limited pellets and greens and no more junk treats like yogourt drops. In this way, if the runny poop problem was due to her diet (e.g. the treats), you won't have any more issues, if she sticks to hay.

Marietta

I know this was a long time ago but Nola got better for a while and gained a little wait and then one day i got home and she had runny poop and could not walk i took her to the vet and they gave me meds to try and she died the next night.:(

It broke my heart.

Latest posts

Back