Rabbit Friendly Apartments

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatrachel

Reaction score
I have been currently looking for apartments thatare rabbit friendly but not shady. Most places that were cat friendlyaccepted rabbits with or without a fee. Some of the more luxuryapartments were actually more welcoming to the rabbits then the shadierplaces (which I thought was odd). Some places had huge fees for any pet(like $300 non-refundable deposit or $100 plus $20 a month, allnon-refundable). I wish rabbits were more accepted as a pet so thatapartment guides would include them as an option in searches. Hasanyone else had rabbit friendly/unfriendly apartments?
-Rachel

I've been searching for rabbit friendly housinglately as well. Luckily I found a house that is pet friendly with arefundable pet damage deposit. Most places that I checked into allowedrabbits wherever they allowed cats, so that's sort of what I went with.I've also found that looking at duplexes or buildings with few unitswere a better bet than looking at large complexes. Sometimes smallerunits are owned and run by the landlord and they're usually not assketchy as some places run with contract management. They're also morewilling to take into account a personal case scenario and work withyou. So I would suggest looking into smaller buildings or duplexes, oreven rooms in private homes. Sometimes those can work out great. Orcarriagehouses/garage apartments in residential neighborhoods. I hadgood luck using www.craigslist.org. It's great if you're in a metroarea.

The last apartment I lived in accepted cats with no additional deposite but didn't accept rabbits. Go figure huh?
The one I live in now allowed us to have 3 cats and the rabbit (thoughthey don't know about the 4th cat!:shock: ) with a double securitydeposit. Hopefully after I make some repairs I'll be able to get thedeposit back. lol

I think there are some landlords who easily allow rabbits because theythink of them as a "small pet" that sits in a cage all the time.
And then there are other who think they are stinky smelly creatures whowith chew holes in everything and don't want them on their property.
When I was searching for apartments I would explain to the leary onesthat my rabbit was clean, had a cage and could use a litterbox....Ileft out the part about him running around and chewing on the woodwork!:p

We found Apollo really helped. We'd makea list of all the apts. that would let us have a rabbit. When we wentto the interviews and showings, we brought Apollo with us. That waythey could see that he wasn't some stinky thing bent on destroyingtheir property. You would be surprised how many places turned us downdue to his size.

It can be a bit frustrating but hang in there. You'll find something.

Tina

Im on the other side of this i am the landlord,Ilet my daughters boyfriend move in without a deposit .his dog ruinedthe laundry room and he wont pay for it and im going to have to get itfixed. its hundreds of dollars in damage.I will never let anyone movein without a deposit again.bluebird

I too can see both sides of it, especially as my stepdad is a landlord, so we've seen it all.

It's too bad not everyone is like all of us here (basically Saints whenit comes to our pets). What's that saying? One bad apple spoils thebunch or something like that?

We're probably moving in August when our lease is up to a bigger placeand I admit to being worried about having three rabbits and what aperspective landlord would say to that. Thankfully we'll be on a monthto month lease in August, so we'll have time.

I actually also am looking for an apartment and Ihave found that is frustrating. But I did find a place that waspromising. And they only said yes because I told them Oreo and Gem arelitterbox trained. It was so funny, the landlord couldn't believe whatI said.

Thank you for all the replies. I have beenfinding some luck lately when I began to look downtown rather than inthe suburbs. The buildings downtown are newer but are working harder tofind new residents. Most even allowed dogs and that was the only petthey charged a fee for. I may end up in the dorms as a staff member andbunnies are totally allowed :)

On the landlord side, my friends family owns a rental property and theonly pet they allow are dogs since they thought cats were toodestructive.

It seems like it is all personal preference by the owner. Good luck to everyone else searching! :)

If there's a college in the area you could askstudents who live off campus what's happening to their houses when theymove out... That is, if you can wait until summer to move. That's how Igot my house. And many times landlords in a college area are a littlemore lenient about stuff because they know most college kids are firsttime renters.

That is true...though some places have really hadproblems with pets in the past. My house I am in currently was nothappy about cats or rabbits. My bunny is ok there for now and has notcaused any damage, though technically she is not supposed to be there.My house is owned by the university and they are actually more strictthen a lot of the other landlords in the area by the school.

Latest posts

Back