Rabbit food, where to find?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redestarrosa

Reaction score
hi,

i have been searching the website trying to find good deals on rabbit foods, and hay...

i want to buy the oxbow rabbit food for young rabbits, i wanted to buythe 50 lb bag, i think that what it was , the oxbow company is sellingit for real good price, but, i don't like the shipping charges, eek!!more than the foods

i don't want to buy them kaytee rabbit foods, that is what kind i seelocally, and my buns don't like the extra stuffs in the food

walmart got a 25lb bag of rabbit food for less than 15 dollars or maybe less than that i don't remember, it comes in green bag, i don't knowif that is a good food or not , i don't remember who madethem, but it is so cheap for a big bag

I'm lucky to have a feed store not even 10minutes from my house, so that is where I get all my hay, pellets, andlitter. I'm a bit hesitant about buying food online. I like to look atthe product I'm buying and make sure it isn't dirty (for the hay) andthe bag isn't ripped or re-sealed (for the litter/pellets). But I'msure there are some good websites out there that are very careful withtheir products. Its finding them that's hard.

As for the pellets at Walmart that might be Purina Rabbit Chow. I usethat and CupCake loves it (however she loves all food so don't get itjust because of me ;)), but I actually started using because that wasall my other rabbit, BlueBelle, would eat. I'm going to be getting moreof it soon. I have the option of getting it in 50lbs or 25lbs bags, butI can't remember how much it costs rightnow.

Lissa

How many rabbits do you have? I have 8 rabbits.

The reason I ask is because rabbit food can go bad if kept too long or if stored improperly.

I buy 25 lbs every 2 weeks. I rebag it into 5 lb bags and freeze them until I need them.

I use Purina Complete Blend Rabbit Chow. It cost me 8.50 at PetGoods. Maybe it's the brand that Walmart had? My rabbits love it!

For hay, I use Kaytee timothy hay and have been satisfied with it so far.

If you have any feed stores nearby, you may want to check them out.

~Jim

I've never bought from Wally World or a petstore. I've always bought from a feed store or farmelevator. I'm paying right at $10 for a 50 poundbag. I don't feed hay and never have. The pelletsare completely balanced. Also, my rabbits do have feed infront of them 24/7/365. All of my critter kidsdo. Because of this, nobody goes hog wildwhen I come out to do chores and nobody is fat. :)))

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
I've never bought from Wally World or a pet store.I've always bought from a feed store or farm elevator.
That's something we don't have in our neck of the woods.....knocked 'em all down to build shopping malls.

I'm originally from Michigan....family of farmers. Gosh I miss stufflike the Feed&Grain, the Mill Pond, the Lane, the drugstore w/the oldfashioned soda fountain, 10 cent comic books......

....sorry....got a little off topic there ;)

well, there is a feed store here in this town, and a big main milling company that also have feed store there too

so i guess i will check them out tomarrow

i got enough rabbit food til then

there is also Atwoods store too, i probably check that out too, that where Woody Pets bedding is at too

i probably will check that place out first then the feed store

thanks for all the responses

Evenstar

I live in a very rural area ... on a rentedacreage ... with a regular old fashioned barn with the haymow, horsestalls and mangers still intact, as well as the stanchions for milkingthe cows. I reallyhate all the urbanization!!! I was bornand raised on the farm, and have lived in the country all of my lifeexcept for about a year and a half of living in my home town with apopulation of roughly 1500 people. I understand very muchabout missing some of those wonderful things of the past, Jim!!!!!

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
I live in a very rural area ... on a rented acreage ... witha regular old fashioned barn with the haymow, horse stalls and mangersstill intact, as well as the stanchions for milking thecows. I really hateall the urbanization!!! I was born andraised on the farm, and have lived in the country all of my life exceptfor about a year and a half of living in my home town with a populationof roughly 1500 people. I understand very much about missingsome of those wonderful things of the past, Jim!!!!!

....color me jealous!

Does everybody own a snowmobile so they can get around in the winter time???
:D

Oh, there are quite a few snowmobiles, but theyare not used for regular transportation. We have snow plowsand blade trucks. Very seldom are roads completely blockedfor any length of time. They get right out and start workingon the roads right away. There have been a few times whenlack of visibility has forced the county or the state to pull in theplows, but they don't do it unless they just have to. Yeah, Ijust could NEVER live in a city. I hated even living in myhome town. I am a country girl, and have manycritter kids. We have to live in the country. :)))

i misses living out in the country, i too lived out in the country all my life,
the past few years i have been living in a small town
college town actually..

i can't live out in the country cause i have no transportation, i don'teven have a driver licence .. just learner permit and i am 33 yrs old

so i have to live in a town environment, where i can walk or ride the bus to places, mostly walk tho

i don't have enough money for a car, even if i did had enough money fora car, i need some driving practice first, i haven't practice drivingsince last two months of 2003

i don't have anybody that would let me practice driving

i don't want to go thru driving school again cause i don't need the classroom part, just the driving practice part

if i lived out in the country i would like to have a little farm

evenstar

Yes, definately go to a feed store.And don't buy Walmart rabbit food! The "green bag" isprobably Small World Rabbit Pellets, which is what Fey and Sprite wereeating when I got them. They looked awful and had large mushypoops. I know others have had problems with soft poops andpoor fur quality from this stuff too. They've been on goodfood since September and they look so good that they don'teven look like the same bunnies anymore.

yeah, that what it was small world brand

i will go to the feed store tomarrow,

on friday my poor boy rat is gonna get neutered, i have a friend thatis going to take in all the baby rats and take them to the wholesalerthat she knows, that the rats can be sold as pets only, it is hard tosell rats here in my town

so rabbits is better, i talked to the local petstore, he said that rabbits sells well in this town,

are you breeding for the bun of it? responsiblebreeders breed their animals for show and they plan to keep 99% of alltheir rabbits. if you're breeding to find homes for all of the rabbits,you're doing it for a very selfish reason! not only will those rabbitsgo to homes that don't look after them after they get bored of them,but some of them will get kicked out on the street, given to snakes fordinner, etc. every baby rabbit you bring into this world, you're takingaway a home a shelter rabbit could've had while he/she waits on deathrow. think about it.

i don't plan on going to shows,
i mean when my g-ma had a kennel, she never showed dogs, and she waslicensed to own a kennel, she breed and raised and sell dogs, for petsand if there is some ppl that wants to show them, that is fine...

im not doing this just for fun

and none of the babies are gonna be fed to snakes, and i will be surethat i find good homes for any babies there is, i might noteven breed the rabbits, i might have the girl spayed but not the boy

i got about 5 months or so to think about this

since i lived with my grandmother and helped herraised and breed dogs for years, and took classes in animalbreeding and animal reproduction i don't think i am that much of anamateur in the animal breeding and raising bit
i raised and breed birds and found home for them
and i raised and breed rats and discontinued and found home for all of the baby rats, and now i just have 4 adult rats

a lot of ppl that became a "professional" in raising and breeding animals started out somewhere

Thank you for your concern

Evenstar

Back