Rabbit feeds for show bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
NOt exactly sure if this is where this should be. I figured if anyone else in the area shows/breeds rabbits, they might be able to help.

Now that I'm down here, I would love a little help trying to find Nutrena feeds. I have been to a Nutrena dealer in Paris(I'm in Winchester) and they don't carry it. The southern States in Winchester doesn't carry it, the Winchester Feed Warehouse is a Purina dealer(as I have found out) and Tractor Supply doesn't have it. Any one have any ideas? I can't find a website for the company either, maybe I'm miss spelling it, not sure. I've read the one thread that posted about people having trouble with rabbits dying from different feeds(we think) and I don't want to switch them. I still have almost 70 pounds of feed, should last me almost to middle of October, but I want to find someplace now instead of waiting until I almost need it and can't find it. Any ideas? Or what feed do people suggest? I work between Nutrena Naturewise and come winter to move to Nutrena Proformance(16% to 18% feed) and move back come spring to winter. I've done it for years and I was trying to avoid changing at least that on them.

Also, Hello to all Kentuckians! I'm the crazy one that sounds funny(to you anyway). I lost one rabbit in the move, my5 year old Polish doe-Molly, I've decided to sell her mate, Jacob since I only had the pair. My two bred does have wrangled the trip and a week later I have 7 healthy mini rex babies and one healthy dutch baby(Lana actually had two but killed one. I fostered one mini rex so far into her litter for kit warmth. Lana's not too great a mommy, but she's got plenty of milk and that mini rex baby was very lightly marked, not good for showing.)

Well if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

I honestly had never heard of the food. My bet is you will have trouble finding it anywhere around here. Winchester is about an hour and something away. All you find here is purina(ick), manno pro, and this other type tractor supply carries that I can not remember it's name.

One suggestion though, find a small time feed store - privetly owned, and asked them to custom order it for you. Our store in town, owned my a man my mom went to school with and knows well, orders feed for me. If I need it and his "guy"(dealer) can get it he will special order it for me. Privet owned places are more likely to want to please a single customer than a chain, because to chains a single person is nothing.

Welcome to Kentucky! I hope you like it, I live in Indiana but go to Kentucky often, There aren't a whole lot of feed brands down here. But as bunnybumbumb said a privetley owned feed store can special order feed quite easily. I often do this, I will have to lok into Nutrena though as I'm trying to find a better feed. I am using Purina Blue Bag Right now, but its not working the best.

Karlie

NutreaWorld, huh, that might explain why I couldn't find it, that and i was putting an 'e' after the u 'Neutrea'. I went to Hatchway, the closest to the mt. sterling zip code, and they don't carry it. it's frustrating. I'm going to contact them and see if they know of anyone that carrys it.
THanks Guys!!

I actually don't get any grain what-so-ever from Tractor Supply. I absolutely hate the Dumor horse grains, i've been suggested to try their mare and foal feed to put a little more weight on my arab and this is goign to be the first time ever touching TSC grain. I haven't heard back from Nutrena so i'm going to ask southern states if they'll order it in or if they won't i'll ask the nutrena dealer to order me in 3 bags a month
I'm going to have to order some soon, i'm down to 50 pounds and I don't want to run out

Heard about the Fibre 3, wanted to find out about it, could you tell us more Dyemond? I called TSC about whats up with the Purina and Nutrena switch over. Their going to be carrying Nutrena horse feed and Purina rabbit and chicken and other feeds. I imagine it would not hurt to ask them if they can get Nutrena rabbit food. They will be dropping the Manna Pro rabbit feeds, I'm not happy, said they would continue to get them for me and a few others, wonder how long that will last.

I will have to look at the tag to get you more info on the Fibre 3 but what I'm excited about is the fact that it has no corn! I was worried about the growth rate for my babies when I started but I think they're actually doing better on it. Good thing- I just 20 new black babies last night! I've got 10 more whites too!

Ok here's the digs:

17% Crude Protein, min

20% Crude Fiber, min

2% Crude fat, min

Main ingredients are wheat and soybean- no wonder the coats look so good!

Here's a link to Purina's site on this: http://rabbit.purinamills.com/OurProducts/Products/RabbitChowFibre3/default.aspx

well no one is willing to ship in my neutrena so i think i'm going to go to the purina fibre 3, if the purina dealer in town has it, if not the only decent stuff that i can find other wise is Big Red. I've used Big red before, way back when i only had blaze and he was a pet.

Does anyone suggest against this? Thoughts?

I just hate Purina, period. I personally do not use ANY of their food. They do not think about the health and what is best for the animal, rabbit, dog or cat.

I did not know all Tractor Supplys where giving up Manna Pro! CRAP! Mom said today when she went they had rearranged the store and there was only one bag of SHO. Luckly four bags will be in at our local feed store.

Each time we get a new bag it worries me, watching for reactions and illness. It sucks having to be so worrisome about something so like food. Breeding is stressfull enough, now we all get to worry about bad food.

well people are intitled to their opinions. I had used purina dog, puppy and senior before for my dogs and never had a problem with that,i know someone personally that uses it for their cats, no problems. I just never liked their senior horse feed, but that was by matter of preferrence, i preferred the agway.
but now thinking about it, i don't have acess to agway horse feeds or nutrena rabbit, so i have to make a change. i'm goign with what i like in horse and it's not dumor or purina- it's nutrena.
I've narrowed the rabbit feed down to either fibre 3 or big red. i've used big red long time ago and never had a problem, but it was only one rabbit.

I didn't know if it was different in other places in the country or what? The stuff I get is always really fresh and dust free! I also used Nutrena before but here it just seemed to be stale sometimes.

It is the ingredience and their lack of care. I do not know much about purina food in horses or what not but the dog and cat food is crap, full of fillers and unhealthy stuff. I have had bad allergies happen using it. It causes my cat Pitten to have stomache problems that he will always live with now. When I fed it to the rabbits they dropped like flies, I have talked to 3-4 other breeders, not just in the US, who had the same problem. Death after death, dead litters, improper breeding(but I am still dealing with that), illnesses, ect. Purina just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and multiple holes filled with bodies in our yard. That is good enough for me to hate them.

Looking at the tabs for dog and cat food it looks, again, like the main ingredient is corn- which in itself is bad enough. Dogs and cats were not meant to be vegetarians- they have canine teeth.. lol! I go by the rule that if the first ingredient is not meat then it shouldn't be fed to them.

Rabbits, on the other hand, also do not do well at digesting corn. Corn is a "filler" and high in energy- a/k/a fat. Corn fed chickens, beef... rabbits... all have a high amount of "yellow fat" when dressed out- not healthy for any animal.

Each person needs to feed what works for them. Fibre3 works wonderfully for me.. other things do not. To each their own.

Blaze_Amita wrote:
well no one is willing to ship in my neutrena so i think i'm going to go to the purina fibre 3, if the purina dealer in town has it, if not the only decent stuff that i can find other wise is Big Red. I've used Big red before, way back when i only had blaze and he was a pet.

Does anyone suggest against this? Thoughts?

I am currently using Fibre 3 for my English Lops, and I've had great success with it. The condition on the rabbits has never been better, and the food looks and smells so fresh. However, I've talked with several small breed breeders both in and out of my area, and their rabbits have done awful on the Fibre. Just something to think about.

I did NOT like Big Red; it was grey and stale looking, and the condition on the rabbits was not good at all. I wouldn't suggest it.

The thing to remember is that feed from other areas, even if it is the same brand, is made by different millers. Around here, many breeders choose Purina because it works well for their rabbits. Obviously, in Samantha's area, Purina is not the feed of choice. I'd suggest finding what works for other breeders in your area and going from there.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back