Rabbit Feed Change..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Well my feed bin near my house doesn't carry my usual rabbit feed that I usually feed my rabbits. And I went to another feed store and they do not carry it either. So I bought a new brand of rabbit feed and I was wondering if this would effect my rabbits? Or if there is anything I could do about it? I would mix their old feed in with the new feed, but I don't have any more old feed left. If anyone was some good advice please post. Thanks.. :D

Karlee:)

I guess you would have to slowly introduce it to them. I don't know, we'll have to wait for another more experienced breeder comes and replies.

Do you have any of their regular food left? I would just start mixing 1 part new food/4 parts old food, then a few days later half and half, then 3/4 until you are right on the new food just to transition them to the new diet change. That's the easiest way to make sure they don't get a tummy upset.

If you've totally ran out of the old food, I'd give them a bit, and if they seem fine with it gradually increase it to their normal amount. Watch for any runny stools or gas symptoms (belly pressed to floor, uncomfortable looking, constant posture change etc).

Ok, thanks Spring. Tomorrow after school I will probably take each of them into the hosue and check their tummies and see if there is any problems that I can see. :D

I'll keep you guys updated if I noticed anything.

Yep what Spring said - it's best if you mix their old feed with their new and slowly increase the new stuff until that is all they are getting - but if you are out of the old stuff and only have the new just keep a close eye their poops are O.K. and that they are digesting it well enough. :)

Ok, Thanks everyone. And today they didn't seem like they were in pain or anything. But I'll keep an eye on them and their poos. :D I gave them sumer apples, I usually give the apples every other week.

If I get a new rabbits and it doesn't come with any food to change it over

I give them plenty of hay and mix a small amount of pellets with oatmeal

and gradually build them up to a full portion of pellets. I have never had a

problem introducing them to my pellets this way.

Roger

Yes plain dry oatmeal. The regular kind like quaker oats, not the instant.

Roger

Back