Rabbit Excerise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
I recently noticed that Cocoa has gained someweight - in fat. Mini-Rexes have that loose skin, but I canfeel the fat on his sides. He's got some jelly rolls. He has no musculetone on his hind legs like Bun-Bun, but exculant muscule tone on hisarms.
He did grow to be a big mini-rex(Length and hight.), but he's put onsome pounds, and I think 10 pounds isn't normal for a pure bredmini-rex.
Other than Neutering or any other type of surgical matters - does anyone know any type of exercise he can do? Like any type of specialactivity?
I'd really appreciate it!!
Thanx a bunches!!

Are you sure he's a pure bred Mini Rex? They doNOT get anywhere close to ten pounds. That's big for a standard Rex,even. My Mini Rex average about four, top weight for one that isoversized is five. Also, how much/what are you feeding him? He shouldbe getting a small amount of pellets, with plenty of hay and greens.

My Mini rex I feed them about one fourth cup of pellets (that'sapproximate) and plenty of hay, my Flemish Giants get about one to oneand a fourth pellets, also with plenty of hay. Exercise is always good,of course, mabye if you let him out of his cage to run in your house,or if he is outside, get him an exercise pen to play in, withsupervision. Hope that helps!

I agree, that seems way too big for a mini rex.

As well as an exercise run, you could try out a harness and lead to take him for walks.:)

Yes, he's pure bred. He's an Agoodie Broken - the colour variety looks very simular to that of a castor broken.
He does eat alot. He can eat a bowl of food in one day. I don't knowthe exact mesurements of his food buts it's the size of an avarage catfood bowl(Infact, that's what it is.). My Buns are fed NuriphasePellets. I'm sick of the Kaytee brand, they rarely have the timoty hayones on the shelf, and I have to buy atleast a 10 pound to last them afew weeks, and it's $20 dollars a bag, which I find absoulutlyrediculios. Nutriphase is lower in price and fat and it'sjust as healthy. You can see him and Bun-Bun, my holland lop, in aBunny Blog topic a made. I've been reducing his pellets to smalleramounts and givin him more hay - but I bought some Burmuta Grass haythis week. Just thought a little differance would be fun - and Bun-Bunloves it. But Cocoa's not too interrested.
The worst part is, if he's out of pellets - he starts throwing a fit byrunning around in his cage making noise(He knows I don't like that.) orthumping his foot and looking at me. They both get to run around mygarden now. I patched up any spots they can get through or hurtthemselves so they won't hurt them selves or get loose.
Bun-Bun has done great on losing weight. He used to be very fat, causewe lived in an apartment and apartments have strict rules whith pets!!So he had to stay in his cage most of the time. He lost his wieghtwhith running around in the yard - Cocoa doesn't seem as sparked asBun-Bun. He usually whants to rest.
I'll try the harness thing and walk him around. Any other type of useof items to help lose weight? Tred mill? (My cat likes doing it.) Idare say any type of weight training - like safe weight pulling. I knowhe's not a dog, but it works great results on dogs, but would that besafe? I got a 5 pound disk wieght at home and I can tie it to hisharness. What do ya'll think?
gentle giants wrote:
Are you sure he's apure bred Mini Rex? They do NOT get anywhere close to ten pounds.That's big for a standard Rex, even. My Mini Rex average about four,top weight for one that is oversized is five. Also, how much/what areyou feeding him? He should be getting a small amount of pellets, withplenty of hay and greens.

My Mini rex I feed them about one fourth cup of pellets (that'sapproximate) and plenty of hay, my Flemish Giants get about one to oneand a fourth pellets, also with plenty of hay. Exercise is always good,of course, mabye if you let him out of his cage to run in your house,or if he is outside, get him an exercise pen to play in, withsupervision. Hope that helps!

I dont recommend the weight to harness thing,because the rabbit will probably flail and panic, and hurt itself. Fornow you should just stick to walking on the harness and letting him outto explore. Hopefully he'll lose that weight :muscleman:!

And people before have already pointed it out, but 10 pounds is prettyfar off from a Mini Rex's usual size. They usually weigh 3.5 - 5 pounds.

:goodluck

lg_52570_486c7.jpg

Is that the food? If so, it has colored bits in it....it may be makinghim fat. I would try cutting back on his pellets gradually each day,feeding lots of hay, and slowly introducing some fresh veggies daily(if you aren't feeding them already).

I just looked EVERYWHERE online and cannot find the precents or ingredients to this food.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

BinkyRabbit33 wrote:
I dont recommend the weight to harness thing, because therabbit will probably flail and panic, and hurt itself. For now youshould just stick to walking on the harness and letting him out toexplore. Hopefully he'll lose that weight :muscleman:!

And people before have already pointed it out, but 10 pounds is prettyfar off from a Mini Rex's usual size. They usually weigh 3.5 - 5 pounds.

:goodluck
My mini rex at age almost 7 is and has never been anyfluctuation of 3.5 lbs. ( That is the weight from a month ago too!):)

Yes, UnderGunFire, that's it!! The little giblets are the first thing they eat. lol.
I will cut them down, till then. I'm a little scared of how he will react to this.
Bun-Bun being at 8 pounds is relitivly healthy. Muscule weighs morethan fat. And even the Vet said, "That's the most solid rabbit I'veever felt!!"
Bun-Bun does show muscule tone, especially on his hind legs.
Hopefully the ol' fat mini-rex will get off his bunny butt and run around whith Bun-Bun.

BTW, update on Cocoa's and Bun-Bun's behavior:
Both have been acting better towards each other. They will still mounteach other, but not as much as they have. If this is what they aregoing to do becuase they will not be nuetured, then I'll have to exceptit. At least no harm is being done - except for the rump's furfrom.....cough....cough....you know.

Anyways, I can't sleep, so here's the nutrition facts I writ from the bag.
Crude Protien(Min.)..........17.0%
Crude Fat(Min.)...................3.0%
Crude Fiber(Min.).................12.0%
Crude Fiber(Max.).................17.0%
Moisture(Max.)........................12.0%
Calcium(Min.).........................0.5%
Calcium(Max.)........................1.0%
Phosphorus(Min.)...................0.4%
Salt(Max.)..............................0.25%
Salt(Max.)...............................0.75%
Vitamin A(Min.)........................2500 IU/LB

Ingredients:
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dehydrated Timothy Hay Meal, Ground Oats,Ground Wheat, Soy Bean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Corn, Dried CaneMolassess, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Vitamin ASupplement, Choline Cholride, Yucca Schidigera Exctract, DL-Methionine,Ferrous Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, RiboflavinSupplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin ESupplement, Copper Sulfate, Ethoxyquin(A Preservative.),Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex(Sourse Of VitaminK Activity.), Cholecalciferol(Sourse Of Vitamin D3.), CalciumPantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin,Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, AndArtificial Colour.

^ Give me credit for that. It was a pain to look at the bag and type at the same time.

I'd recommend switching his food.That's too much protein and not enough fiber. Basic alfalfapellets should have 15-16% protein and at least 18% fiber. Ifcost is an issue, go to a feed store. Many breeder-typepellets are far better and far less expensive. For example,Purina High Fiber and Heinhold 15% are popular and veryhealthy. Even better would be Purina Lab Diet if you can findit. Although personally I prefer timothy pellets foradults. Kaytee Timothy Complete and Oxbow Bunny Basics/T aregreat! And much less fattenening.:)

Also, how much are you feeding? Pellets should be limited,based on what the rabbit should weigh if he was a healthyweight. You might need a vet to determine what his idealweight is, because 10 lbs is severely overweight for a mini rex.

Aside from the food, make sure he has a very large cage withinteresting toys that you switch frequently to keep himinterested. Let him out to play a lot, and give him differenttoys there too. For example, a cardboard box full of shreddednewspaper for digging and chewing. You don't need to take arabbit outside to get him to be more active.

It's not only costs that bugs me - they rarelyhave any 10 pound bags of Timothy Hay Complete on the shelf. And Idon't trust feed bins any more. Recently, I've found bugs that looklike small weevles crawling around in it!!
But I can never find this Ox Bow food. It seems very popular among this forum. If I find it, I'll buy it.

EXCELLENT advice (both this post and the next one)...

I had to do that for both my buns' food AND my kitty food. It's worth the extra moment or two to check out their site.

I recommend checking out Kaytee Timothy Complete for their food,personally. :) And you can check out Kaytee's sitehere:
http://www.kaytee.com/home/

Brandy456 wrote:
Bun~bun try to google itto get thier website and 'Contact' them. Give them you city and ask ifthey sell any near you.

When i first got my bun's Babii the girl i gother from said to start her off on hamster food becasue of her littlemouth so i did and about a month ago i baught realllly expensive Rabbitfood like premium quality and she wouldn't touch it. I gave her someand i checked back 2 days later ( i went on vaca) and she hadent eatena bit of it so i refilled the bowl with hammy food and she ate it sofast it was funny.

Oh no!! Hamster food has all sorts ofstuff in it that bunnies REALLY should not consume...I would recommendslowly switching her to an actual bunny food. Her health isreally put at risk eating hamster food like that...please try to slowlyswitch her over to something like Kaytee Supreme Diet for Rabbits orTimothy Complete. It's so much better for her. And,even though it's not the premo expensive bunny food, it's SO MUCHbetter than the hammie food.

How old is Babii??

You can also order Oxbow from www.oxbowhay.com. I personally love the food, and so do my bunnies.

If you do not want to spend the money to order it offline, then I wouldgo with what Rosie said and get the Kaytee Timothy Complete pellets.You can buy them from PetsMart.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Your rabbit definitely needs to see a vet tofind out a good weight. If he is 10 lbs and is a mini rex, I can'timage how he can hop (rolling now that I could see!). So don't go bybreed standards, you need professional advice on that. By the way, whyare you so certain he is a mini rex? Was it just someone that said itwith no real proof to back them up?

Oh and check with local vet clinics, they oftenwill orderOxbow in on request. They don't advertise it but all it takes is aphone call to find out if they will. Even my local vet who doesn't dealwith rabbits will order it in for me.

I'm not going to argue whith Cocoa'sbreeder who has bred pure breds and rescued abandoned Rabbits for over30 years. That would be very annoying of me.
He runs and hops fine. I saw him and Bun-Bun playing chase - and Cocoa out ran Bun-Bun!!
Unfortuantly, I can not video tape them and upload them online - but Ican take pictures of them dashing around tommarow, not to mention I'llshow a pic of him up close.

Latest posts

Back