Rabbit Encyclopaedia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foofy

Reaction score
Quick question for you all does anyone know if there is a rabbit Encyclopaedia available to buy in the USA?

I have tried to find one here in the UK but to no avail. Theonly books on rabbits I can find here are just basic ones on how tolook after your new rabbit. I am looking for more info than this Iwould like a book that lists all the breeds with pictures etc.

We are coming over to the US in September for 3 weeks so I thought ifanyone knows where I can buy one I can get it in September and bringhome with me! This way it would be cheaper than sending off for it andhaving to pay postage charges how mean am I!!

Sue

Hi Foofy,

You could check out the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association)http://arba.net website for a quick fix ofdifferentbreeds. You can also look at what theyrecommend for links or publications.

They definitely do have rabbit encyclopedia's here. There'sdifferent types, I can think of at least two or three I've found at thelibrary. You'll have luck in a big bookstore.

A really good book to have is Rabbit Production 8th Edition byJames McNitt, et. al.http://www.chipsbooks.com/rabbit.htmIt's quite a scientific study of rabbits, but it's good to have onhand. It has all the pictures of breeds, etc. in there.

Another good book is for general information and easy reference is Rabbits for Dummies, by A. Pavia.

-Carolyn

Carolyn

Thanks so much for this. :pI knew you guys would have better books than us!

I am going to print off the page and pack it in my suitcase and takewith me on my hols so I don't forget the names of the books. I can theneven start reading one while I am away.

Can you let me know the names of some of your big book stores so I know where to look?

Thanks ever so much :p

No Problem, Foofy,

The first bookstores that come to mind are Barnes and Noble orWaldenBooks. I'll have to keep thinking about that. You could do asearch of bookstores in the area you're visiting if you wish.

Two other books that are great also is Why Does My Rabbit...? by Anne McBride. It's a fun read about their behaviors.

Also, Pamnock recommended to me, Rabbit Health in the 21st Century,2nd Edition by Kathy Smith. It's purchased through the House RabbitSociety. http://rabbit.org You might email them and ask them about itto see if they do have it available in stores or would be willing toship one to you at the location you're at in the USA when you get here.It sells for $14.99 lbs. in the UK and $17.95 in the U.S.

-Carolyn

Foofy,

If you know the town and find a bookstore, PM me a week or two beforeyour trip and I'll call them up, ask them if they have them (some ofthem they might not have in stock), and I'll call them and have themreserve whichever one's you wish.

You probably won't find the one by Kathy Smith in a bookstore, but theothers can certainly be ordered by them if they're not on the shelf.

I'll have to find out the name of the books at the library for you as well.

-Carolyn

P.S.

For brand new books the prices are:

Rabbit Production: $35 US dollars

Rabbits for Dummies: $16.99 US/11.95 lbs.

Why does my Rabbit...?? $14.95 US/9.99 lbs.

Rabbit Health in the 21st Century-2nd Edition: $17.95 US/14.99 lbs.

Carolyn

Thanks so much for all this info on the books. Have had a look at theweb sites for Barnes & Noble & also Waldenbooks. Lookslike they both sell most of the books you listed. While I was on theWalden site I noticed that they are part of Amazon, we have Amazon herein the UK and I have ordered from them before. I then went onto AmazonUK to see if it would be possible to order any of the books throughthem. Hey presto they had them all available to order aswell!:pI couldn't believe it. I have been unable to find anydecent bunny books anywhere else over here either in the library, petshops or good bookshops.

So now I can start ordering some from Amazon!:)The only thingis I don't know which ones to choose!!!I have also found abook called a Rabbitopaedia on Amazon which sounds interesting! Willlet you know when I start reading! Also found that there are 2 Barnes& Noble shops near where we are staying in Orlando so may buysome more from there in September as well!!

Thanks once again if you hadn't given me the names of the stores& books I would not have found out I can order them from thiscountry.

Sue

Glad Amazon works for you, Foofy! I wasthinking of suggesting it, but didn't know about the cost of shipping,etc., so I didn't bother.

If I were you, since you're interested in the breeds and wish to seethe different types, etc., I'd go with the Rabbit Productionone. It's not the easiest read, but it's definitely worthhaving. It's not terribly difficult reading either, it's justvery scientific. Many breeders over here call it their'Bible.'

-Carolyn

Carolyn

Thanks I think I will get the rabbit production one as well as a few others I think!

I was trying to attach a few photos I took of my bunnies today but amhaving trouble! I wanted to post several but don't know how to I alsowanted to type captions next to them but can't figure thatout either!

Never mind not that technical when it comes to this computer stuff!:(

Sue

I have trouble sometimes too, Foofy.

There's a post a few pages back entitled Pictures and Avatars. You might try to see if that's of any help.

The Rabbits for Dummies is excellent to have too. It'slaid out well, it's got great information, it's veryinformative, and it's writtenin layman's terms.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn will have a look at that post and also ask my hubby he is the camera and computer whizz in our house!

I think I might have to get the Rabbits for Dummies as well! Especiallyif it is a little bit easier to read! Thats about 5 or 6 books I wouldlike to get now! It will give me something interesting to read on our 93/4 hour plane journey to Miami won't it! If I haven't already readthem all by then!

Latest posts

Back