Rabbit eating less and drinking a lot of water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addy

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1 year old rabbit (Panda) and 6 month old rabbit (Mochi). They are currently living in separate rooms. I just realized for the last 2 days that Panda has been drinking twice as much water and eating twice as less hay as Mochi. Her litter box gets much more wet compared to Mochi at a given time.

I think I am comparing them pretty good; I feed them and change litter boxes at the same time for both of them. I also have two of the same water bowls, and fill them up completely.

Any guesses on what this might be? Panda has been behaving her regular energetic self. She also eats her veggies in a normal manner. Two months ago she was 4.2 lbs, which according to the vet is fine. I don't think her weight has changed. Definitely not obese body habitus.

I scheduled a vet appointment for Panda tomorrow. I hope it can wait one more day? Anything I could do right now?

Last edited:
The increase in drinking and peeing could be because it is summer and it’s getting hot? Maybe one bunny is just more affected by the heat than the other. Increased urine and drinking can also indicate kidney disease, but that would be unlikely in a bunny that young!
Drinking lots can also be a response to pain, and the fact she is eating less hay also suggests possible dental pain.
I would just make sure until you see the vet she has access to all the water she wants as she is drinking more for a reason.
Good luck :)

I went to the vet this week. Both had normal physical exams including their teeth. The vet isn't concerned about the water drinking and urinating habits; she is too young for kidney problems and such. It is likely because she just personally likes to drink more water (and/or the other rabbit prefers to drink less). I'm measuring her 24hour intake and will email him with the results, which he will compare to the literature. If it is off, not sure what change of management plans there will be...

Thank you for your response. I am glad that the appointment went well. :)

Latest posts

Back