rabbit eating her young

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amy ,hon you have to factor in thedampness , night dew, and night air will reduce the babies bodytemperature to well belownormal body temperature ,. resulting inhypothermia , kinda like whenwe dive into a coldlake we getcold after a few minutes . takeparticular notice after a reallyhot day , go out at nightand just sit there and let thenight air settle on you , it startsto cool the surfice of ourskin and then a smallchill sets in , now beingadults and humans we dont tendto notice it as much , butbabies surely will .

Nighttime temperature here is between 75-80degrees. Nope haven't had them very long, got them rightbefore mothers day. Read a couple of books on it before wegot them when I was looking into getting rabbits, and have readsections out of husbandry books and vet books we have, but it isamazing what it doesn't tell you. Ex: they say keep themwarm, how warm? They say if you desterb the babies the mothermay kill them, but also to check - course they don't say how.One sourse says cook carrots if your going to give them carrots,another says to just grate them. Make a nest box big enoughfor the mother to turn around with a small enough lip that she won'tbump milk swollen breasts. I am a person that needs lotts ofinfo. I collect info books and that is why I love theinternet. If you know of a good source of information (ie.book, site) I would be most grateful. :)Cindy

Also, don't know if it's pertinent but we builtthe hutch so it has an enclosed section w/ventilation and her nest boxis in that area, also we use hay for the bedding 'cause it's easy toclean and readily available. Oh, and I live in Kentucky so itis pretty humid here most of the time. Cindy Thanksfor your help

They are outside bunnies, temps about the sameeither way. Also havn't been able to figure out what kindthey are, saw one like them in a book, but it didn't tellbreed. They are med. sized, girl with dewlap, black andwhite. Boy is brown and white, rounder head. Anyideas or just a mix ya think? Cindy

post us a picture its mucheasier to tell when wecan see them , uppy earsor floppy ears ?

Thanks for the site info.:D I've gonethrough the first two but havn't seen the last at all. Thanksfor the threads too. Cindy

They've got uppy ears, I'll se what I can doabout a picture. New camera, computer,etc.. haven't messedwith it yet, guess it's about time. Cindy

Found out I've got two American dutch. Great link, thank you. Cindy

There are 4 babies! One was hiding waydown at the bottom in a corner. Looks like we're going toneed to build a few more hutches, good thing there is a lot of room.

Just a quick update. Have been tryingto figure out how in the world those babies could have excaped andgoing out there at all hours to make sure no more have. Nomore have so far, but I found out on one site that occasionally the doewill be done feeding and the kitts hitch a ride!:p Theredoing good so far. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back