rabbit eating her young

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candy

Reaction score
Our bunny has been making her nest for a week soI knew she was going to have her babies soon. Last night shehad her babies, I found out when I saw her in her cage EATINGONE! I have heard of it but was really hoping not toexperience it. Could this one just have died, or are they allprobably eaten? How can I find out without making itworse? I'm affraid to desterb her more. She was inher main part of her cage so I just took it from her and disposed ofthe baby. Please help, I don't know what to do.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I will check onthe babies as soon as she is out of her house and roaming hercage. I couldn't believe how big the baby was when I wasn'tsure untill a few days ago she was pregnant! I wish I handledpregnancy as well as Mary! LOL, Cindy

Ok, I chickend out. I got mary alittle treat to lure her out, but as soon as I went near her house shewas right there watching me. I looked in her nest but Icouldn't see any babies. I did however see movementtwice. I was afraid to feel in there I didn't wan't her tofeel they were threatened. Maybe I'll get the nerve laterwhen she's napping. Cindy, any more advice, this isvery new to me?

MYTH 8: If you touch baby rabbits, the motherwill kill them. So long as the mother is used to being handled, shewill usually have little or no problem with her babies being touched. Ihandle all the baby bunnies in my barn from the day they are born,which bonds them with humans and makes them friendlier. Also, thebreeder needs to look at them all the first day to make sure they arehealthy and to take out any dead babies.

Just make sure she cant attack you. I would check on them as soon aspossible so that you can count how many there are, and see is there areany more dead ones, and to make sure they are being fed.

I check on my babies twice a day so that I can see if they are eating, and to make sure none are injured or sick.

~Amy

She won't attack me but she'sskittish. I've only had her for a little while and when I gother she had an eye infection, scratches all over, fleas, and the boy Igot had a nasty case of ear mites. Everything is all healedup now and she's a lot friendlier than when I got her but she's stillpretty watchfull (not that I blame her, poor thing).

Cindy

The kids and my DH got me 43 chicks for mothersday. The hatchery had rabbits, I asked about them for lateron (we didn't have a hutch yet). He had two med size rabbitswith the health problems that were seperated, different kind than theothers, way too hot in there for rabbits. He wanted $5 foreach. By the time we left he had given them to us. Took 2days for DH to build a hutch. We kept them in a box in thehouse, together, untill then - doesn't take long, does it?Cindy

It takes like 10-20 seconds actually :p

Do you know how old your bunny is? I also suggest getting you maleneutered and your female spayed after she has had the babies, then youcan rebond them and wont have to worry about having any more babies. Ifyou decide to not get them fixed then if you dont want any more babiesyou will have to keep them seperate forever.

~Amy

We were told that they were about 2 yearsold. We wanted to breed them but we wern't expecting to startthat fast. I was originally thinking about angoras.Cindy

Ok, will do. I'm still trying to get the nerv to check on the little guys.

Cindy

I went and checked on them, and it's a goodthing too! There were 2 of them outside the nest!Do you think she took 'em out, or do you think they mannaged to getthemselves out there by themselves. By the way there seems tobe 3 all together, and they were all wiggling tward myhand. I think they like me! Cindy

They were in the nest box, I put them back inthere. It doesn't seem like they're big enough to get overthere on there own, but mabe the lip on the nest box isn't tallenough? I't hasn't gotten below 75 in a while even at night,think I need to worry to much?

Cindy

yes there is something toworry about , Night time temperatures Itdoesant take babies very long tobecome hyperthermic. less than an hour , Youhave to find a way to keep themin the nest box where they stay warm, the mother pulls hair for areason , thats to keep babies warm. If yourhaving the jeebbies sticking your hand inthere to check the babies puta board between you and the mother, you need to check on them andbe sure they are fed , andto make sure none dieovernight, The Mother, WILL NOT take care ofthem on the wire andshe will not move them , youhave to do this . I highlysuggest getting more information , and doing a lotof reading before you breed again. You have gone into this blindand now need to read up andmake sure you know what theheck is happening and how to correct thesituation ,. I also take it youhavent had these rabbits morethan 31 days correct?

Keep us informed we will help as much as we possably can .

Back