Rabbit DNA testing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoints

Reaction score
Is there a way to do Rabbit Genetics Testing like with Humans?

You see a friend of mine did the dumbest thing and bred his homozygous black (aaBBCCDDEE) with a heterozygous black (aaBBCcchlDDEe). Is there any way to tell which babies carry sable or non-extension. His bunnies had a litter of 5, of course all blacks. Is therre any way to conduct a genetic test to find out which ones carry sable or non-extension?

I don't think actual DNA testing is available for rabbits. Even if it was, it would be quite expensive.

I think most breeders would do test breeding to help determine if a rabbit carries a certain gene. They would have to carefully choose which rabbit to breed to the one they want to test. I am not really sure what you would have to breed or what the desired result would be since I am not familiar with that colouring and the genetics behind it.

There are some hardcore genetic gurus on another forum I'm on. If you're okay with it I can post your question there and let you know the replies. Their knowledge is incredible

Latest posts

Back