Rabbit disease

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zekapeka

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my relative got something called virus whitlow and the doctor’s first question was about animal contact, to later state that this transmitted disease came from my 1 year old rabbit Zeka. He suggested to check the rabbit, so I’m planning to take him to the VET, but my question is does anyone know anything about this? It’s not that I have any valid reason to doubt the Dr., It’s just that I’m worried for my bun’s health, but although he’s free and roaming around the apartment, mostly my bedroom, jumping and having naps on my bed while I constantly pet him, kiss him, clean his litter box and cage and pick up poop accidents, I, nor my boyfriend who lives here with us, did not experience anything like this, and Zeka hasn’t changed his usual behavior at all.

Does anyone have any more knowledge about this to ease my mind before the VET appt? Thanks to all of you in advance

9F840285-0085-4DF1-A1BC-4C1A737DE8D2.jpeg

If your relative has herpetic whitlow, that doctor is COMPLETELY wrong about it coming from your rabbit. Herpetic whitlow is caused by the herpes simplex virus, and comes from touching a cold sore or from having genital herpes(in humans, not rabbits), which transmission of HSV comes from contact with an infected person. This is a human virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpetic_whitlow
And not only is the doctor wrong, but it's completely opposite. Rabbits can get sick from an infected person passing herpes simplex virus to them. If your rabbit actually had this virus, it would have been contracted from a person by your rabbit, and your rabbit would be currently, extremely sick then dead. It is a rapidly fatal illness in rabbits because it causes fatal encephalitis in the rabbit.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Herpesvirus
Though this isn't a common illness for rabbits to contract, it's still possible. So I would strongly encourage not letting your relative have any contact with your rabbit, and for you or anyone you know that has contact with your relative and your rabbit, to use the proper precautions to prevent the spread to your rabbit.

If your relative has herpetic whitlow, that doctor is COMPLETELY wrong about it coming from your rabbit. Herpetic whitlow is caused by the herpes simplex virus, and comes from touching a cold sore or from having genital herpes(in humans, not rabbits), which transmission of HSV comes from contact with an infected person. This is a human virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpetic_whitlow
And not only is the doctor wrong, but it's completely opposite. Rabbits can get sick from an infected person passing herpes simplex virus to them. If your rabbit actually had this virus, it would have been contracted from a person by your rabbit, and your rabbit would be currently, extremely sick then dead. It is a rapidly fatal illness in rabbits because it causes fatal encephalitis in the rabbit.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Herpesvirus
Though this isn't a common illness for rabbits to contract, it's still possible. So I would strongly encourage not letting your relative have any contact with your rabbit, and for you or anyone you know that has contact with your relative and your rabbit, to use the proper precautions to prevent the spread to your rabbit.
Thank you very much for your reply, I did my best to research on that part and I’m aware, keeping my rabbit safe. However I asked the question since from the interpretation I got from the person, the doctor alluded that there might be different types of whitlow, one that’s herpetic and is caused by HSV, and another that is just a virus whitlow?? Able to spread from animals to humans, that being the main reason of occurring as well… Anyway, I’m not that familiar with herpes virus, so I didn’t want to deny something that a person with a lot more medical knowledge said, based just on my experience and perspective. Although unsuccessful, I will still try to do more research on the doctors diagnosis before visiting the VET and getting another reassurance. Would you happen to know how does a check-up on possible diseases like this go with rabbits?

Latest posts

Back