Rabbit Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade

Reaction score
Well, I've had my bunny for a couple weeks now,and I just want to make sure I'm feeding her properly. Her and mysisters bunny eats gets broccoli, celery, alfafa and pears.. Im notsure what other foods are betetr to feed? They also get rabbit pelletsand a mixed grain as well as hay..

Any suggestions would be fantastic :)

Since the topic is food, I have anotherquestion. I know that young rabbits need to eat a lot but when do theystart eating just a set amount? My girls are almost seven months old(just got spayedtwo weeksago). They are both about3-5 pounds each. I have been giving them 2/3 cup of pellets a day forboth of them to share, plus a couple handfuls of timothy hay, and as asnack somefresh veggies/fruits. Am I feeding them they rightabout? The bowl of pellets last them throughout the day and I refill atnight before I go to bed. Any suggestions?

Jade: I would get rid of the grainmix. It's just not good for rabbits, too much fat.I wouldn't give her more then 1 tsp. every day or couple ofdays. Limit the fruit and add some leafy greens to herdiet. Celery doesn't really have any nutritional value, it'sbasically water. Give broccoli in moderation. Giveunlimited hay.

Ruka: Your kids are ready for a set amount of food. Give 1 ozof food per lb. of body weight (1 oz is approximately 1/8 of acup). Give unlimited amounts of hay and continue with theveggies. Try to get them on a feeding schedule. Mybuns get veggies in the morning and pellets at night plus their hay isalways full.

Jen

I'd recommend mustard greens, parsley, andanything really dark and leafy. Carrots can be a nice treat, but Iwouldn't give them a lot. Broccoli is also known for gas.:foreheadsmack:

Also, I'd give alfalfa as a rare treat only for adults (go withtimothy), and for babies/very young bunnies maybe one part timothy andone part alfalfa hay.

Rabbits should have a set amounts of pellets perday, non selective ones if possible. my vet says they need unlimitedhay and then they should have greens, you can buy these in bags fromthe shops. They are very good for bunnies. I also feed mine broccoliand cabbage. I don't give mine fruit as sugary fruits can shortenbunnies lives i've heard! :shock:I only give them carrots astreats. Oh yes, i also feed them dandylions!! They are very good forbunnies and they love them. Just make sure they haven't been sprayedwith any weedkiller of things like that.

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
. I don't give mine fruit as sugary fruits can shortenbunnies lives i've heard! :shock:I only give them carrots astreats. Oh yes, i also feed them dandylions!! They are very good forbunnies and they love them. Just make sure they haven't been sprayedwith any weedkiller of things like that.
Carrots contain moresugar than some fruits!

Which is why mine get very very few carrots :p

not everything that has sugar tastes sweet, there's my biology major kicking in... ;)

cirrustwi wrote:
Jade: I would get rid of the grain mix. It's justnot good for rabbits, too much fat. I wouldn't give her morethen 1 tsp. every day or couple of days. Limit the fruit andadd some leafy greens to her diet. Celery doesn't really haveany nutritional value, it's basically water. Give broccoli inmoderation. Give unlimited hay.

Ruka: Your kids are ready for a set amount of food. Give 1 ozof food per lb. of body weight (1 oz is approximately 1/8 of acup). Give unlimited amounts of hay and continue with theveggies. Try to get them on a feeding schedule. Mybuns get veggies in the morning and pellets at night plus their hay isalways full.

Jen

Hey Jen, is celery good for getting salt in them? Mine won'ttouch their salt lick, so I give them a slice of celery for everymeal...? Am I crazy...? Well, I know I am, butshould I lay off the celery? :D

Kricket, most animals get enough salt in theirregular food. A salt lick is more for enjoyment.Mocha ignores hers, too. My hamster Fuzznugget will spendover an hour alternating between licking his salt lick and drinkingwater. :p

So parsley is good to food all the time? Whatother vegetables would be a good staple diet? I know you all say'mustard greens' but I am in Australia and don't know what they arehehe.. Thanks for your help :)

From what I've heard salt licks are given toencourage a bunny to drink, pellets are high in salt so your bun isprobably getting enough salt, if you want to give your bun a salt lick,see how your bun is, if he only licks it now and then thats fine, minehave theres for over a year, but a bun who devourers it in weeks isbest not allowed to have one as he would be getting too much salt, andyes celery is very high in salt

Latest posts

Back