Rabbit destroyed carpet! Parents don’t know I’m afraid they’ll get rid of her

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by shad2000, Nov 17, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Nov 17, 2019 #1

shad2000

shad2000

shad2000

I posted about my carpet here before but know it’s a problem! one of my parents wanted to deep clean my carpet because they done the whole house so it was my turn, I said no because the chemicals that’s in it are harmful for bunnies and because my carpet is torn up, I’ve never told them about it!! Because they really don’t care for my bunny and if they find out I’m afraid that they’ll throw her out! ;( I don’t know what to do I told them that I’ll do it another time and find some over safe product to clean the carpet as an excuse..I’m really worried. They said okay for know but they said “eventually we going to have to deep clean it” so know I don’t know what to do? Can anyone help me? Any suggestions on how to fix my carpet fast , and safe cleaning product? :(

2. Nov 17, 2019 #2

Flakes

Flakes

Flakes

Supporting Member

I don’t know about cleaning products... maybe use vinegar? But as for the carpet, you are going to have to come clean with your parents eventually, you might as well get it over with.

Niomi likes this.
  3. Nov 17, 2019 #3

Niomi

Niomi

Niomi

To keep my rabbit from destroying the carpet, I leave a small felt blanket on the floor where he attacks the carpet. Then he digs in the cloth and puts holes in it instead of the carpet.

4. Nov 17, 2019 #4

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

You will need to tell your parents. My own bunnies have destroyed my mothers slippers, chewed up the sho laces of both my parents, destroying my dads charger for his laptop and so on. They have done many things, even leaving scratch marks on the door.

Myself often compensate with replacing the things or paying a bit of the cost.

If your bunny destroy the carpet try to place something else over the carpet to protect it. Maybe have a digging box where he often digs.

Bunnies will often manage to destroy something even though you try to keep it safe and think it’s bunny proofed :3

Niomi likes this.
  5. Nov 18, 2019 #5

samoth

samoth

samoth

Part of humans caring for animals is that we also have to take responsibility for our animals -- even when they do something that, although natural and meaningless to them, is harmful (finacially) to us. And we can't get mad at or blame the animal!

Rabbits dig. It's ingrained into their very nature and their genetic code. Keeping animals with a digging instinct inside our homes means... well, this kinda thing happens.

I don't know your parents or your situation, but I try to always live in an open and honest manner, even when it means taking responsibility for something bad. I would be honest and tell them, but I would also explain how much my rabbit means to me, and my willingness to make sacrifices for its care -- say, offering to pay to fix or patch the rug, or find ways to make it less likely to happen in the future.

I would hope your parents would recognize your maturity and willingness to take responsibility, even if it's going to be annoying to them because something in their home got damaged.

At the end of the day, damaged carpet is annoying, but it's just damaged carpet; a thing. Your rabbit, on the other hand, is a living being for whom you (and by proxy, your parents) are wholly responsible. Even if they get mad, I hope they can look past the carpet and you can all work together for your rabbit's best interests, which is staying with a caring family and not throwing her out :)

Niomi and krbshappy71 like this.