Rabbit compost

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishRabbitmama

Reaction score
Does anyone else compost their rabbit's poo? We just started tonight as part of her fair poster project. We even added the litter poo as we only put paper at the bottom of his litter box plus what I scoop up from the bottom of his cage or find around the house. We left out most of the paper and left in all of his hay plus the old bag of hay midlings.

I haven't personally. But growing up my dad would always put the rabbit poop on the flower gardens. He still tells me today that I should be dumping their litter boxes onto my flower gardens. He says it does wonders!

My husband is planning on composting this summer. Not much we can do right now with the polar vortex hanging over our heads...lol.

You actually don't even have to compost it - rabbit poop is considered a "cold manure" or w/e, meaning you can put it directly into your garden (as opposed to "hot" manures that have to be composted or they'll burn the plants or something like that), though if it's wet from urine, you want to let it dry before applying it directly. Rabbit poop and worm castings are the only two poops I know of that can be used "fresh" (either mixed into the soil or sprinkled on the surface around the plants)... you can also make the equivalent of compost tea using rabbit poop instead and water your plants with that.

Hmmmmmmmm, I think I'll try that with my strawberry plants as yes I think it does work.

I clean the 3 big hutches out daily. The floor has pine pellets covered by newspaper and hay. Only one of my 4 goes in the same spot. When the rabbits are outdoors I clean the hay and paper out. The paper goes into recycling and the hay/poop mixture I keep in two large Rubbermaid garbage cans. I put an ad on an on-line site that sells used or gives away free items. I offered it for free and once a week a gardner comes by to pick up the cans. I have a waiting list.

I do use it in the garden. The majority of poops go right in the garden. Urine soaked litter gets composted most of the time as I found adding it directly to the garden added too much nitrogen. Urine is pure nitrogen. Too much nitrogen and you get big plants with few veggies. Nitrogen will really kick start the compost pile though. One of the motivating factors in getting a rabbit was the nice side effect of an in house compost maker.

I breed rabbits and have a few for pets. I rake out under the breeder hutches daily and, when needed it goes to the garden and flower beds. If not I add it to the compost drums (we have two of them) and ALL of the house rabbit litter goes to compost due to the urine soaked paper in it.

It is good fertilizer, fresh or composed and, composted, you can use it alone for starter soil.

Latest posts

Back