Rabbit chow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
A few weeks ago i made the switch to Rabbit chowmade by Purina chow. I have noticed how there coats are so shiny!!! Iam glad i made the switch and it's not actully too much more expensive.Now this brand only comes in 10 lbs or 50lbs. now the 50 lbs is abetter value. Would that stay fresh? I know you can freeze it but iwouldnt be able to freeze alot cause of lack of room.

Also i got some pumkin and Luv wasnt too crazy and only got a littlebit. I left some in her cage and will get help if she dont eatit. Is it ok to give some to Roger even though he isproducing normal sized droppings. He ate some off the spoon.Tyler my son is who 4 has relized he will take food from your handslike a dog. So i got to watch him closely cause he was feeding Rogercereal today. How much pumkin should i give Luv and anyoneknow how long the pumpkin will stay good in a covered bowl.

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

Freeze what you can, and the rest, I'd be sure to put it in a sealedtight plastic container. You don't want to attract othercritters, and you want to preserve the feedas muchasyou can. My breeder said thattheydoesn'tfeel that freezing is necessary, but I'm sure you'llget various different opinions on this. Buck was first giventhat advice bya distributer/salesman of BlueSealand it does seem to make good sense, however, space is anissue for me too, so I put some away and keep the rest in sealedcontainers.

I'm so thrilled to hear about the Purina because I just found a placejust 10 minutes from me that sells it. Fauna seemed to likeHeinold better than the Purina, but I suppose she'd get used to it asthat's what Buck Jones fed her and without any fuss. She mayhave been picky when she first came to me since she was in a new place,etc.

As for the pumpkin, I'm going to definitely give both of my babiessyringe full of canned pumpkin and fresh pineapple once a week just tobe sure they have that extra scrub. It's not necessary, butsince Tucker's prone to problems, I'm going to do it. You'relucky your little ones will eat it off the spoon. Hope minewill get to that point. Keep in mind that thecanned pumpkin has sugar in it and sugar isn't good for their digestivesystem, so just give it to them in moderation. My littleone's will sacrifice having a different treat for their pumpkin andfresh pineapple juice day.

-Carolyn

Purina was also highly recommended to me byseveral breeders, not only because it has great nutrition, but theyhave several varieties including one for show rabbits. I plan onfeeding my buns this, so I am glad to hear good things from otherpeople as well. ^^

~Nichole

Where can you get Purina for rabbits? I didn'teven know they made rabbit food! I assume it's good for them, with theright percentage of fiber and protein. I miss the really good food wegot from a local lady who owned a shop (where we got Abby). In fact, Imiss that store a lot! Hands down the best pet store I've ever seen.Gotta love those little locally owned places.

Thanks for the link. It will only let me put in a US zip code. They may be around somewhere, I'd have to just go take a look.

Well, they replied and they don't sell it in Canada due to an agreement with some other company over trademarks. Oh well!

Looking at the website, it sounds great though. Wish they did sell it here.

Mygirl2k3,

Thank you so much for starting this post. I went to my local feed storeand bought a bag after calling and getting a price check of $11 for a50lb bag!! :shock:previously I was paying $11 for a 10lb bagof Oxbow, this makes feeding my rabbits a much more enjoyableexperience especially with a growing Flemish to feed!

Thanks again,

Fergi's mom

Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question orsomething...or if Im supposed to know this since Im a rabbitowner...but your allowed to give rabbits pineapple and pumpkin??? Inever knew that! My rabbit, Skittles is a mini rex..and shes getting upthere, shes going to be 7 in December...would yousuggest anykind of fruit or veg. to keep her healthy..or more active.

Hi Amanda,

No question is stupid. That's what learning is all about.

I had given my rabbit pineapple and canned pumpkin to help with arecent struggle with G.I. Stasis. You might want to check out the poston it. It's long and if you have time to read it, you'll see why thoseitems. I'll only give the rabbits a syringe full each week to keeptheir systems clean. It's not necessary, I'm just doing that to be surethings stay clear. Sugar is bad for their digestive systems, so I'mvery careful with the amount of vegetables and fruits I give my rabbitbecause of the sugar content in them. There are many different thoughtson this, and I'm not saying my way is the right or wrong way, it's justthe way I do things as that's what I've deducted from my reading.

As to your baby being 7, what a great life she's got. I'd only make onesuggestion and that would be to have some NutriCal on hand. If youdon't know what it is or where to get it, it's listed on about page 10of the GI Stasis post. It's good to have on hand whether your rabbit beyoung or old in case it ever goes off its feed, you're still gettingthe nutrients into the rabbit's system. It also helps boost the immunesystem and promotes an appetite. It can't hurt to give her a spot of it(about an inch) every so often (a week or so) when they're older.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back