Rabbit breathing super heavy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm_Lover_With_Bunnies

Reaction score
Hello fellow bunny lovers!
My bun twilight has been having some breathing issues lately and im wondering if i should just take her to a vet asap or if there is something i can do to help her without a vet. She just started breathing heavily when shes laying down, not fast but heavy. I can see her breathing heavy and i can hear it, no discharge or breathing from the mouth or anything else unusual just the breathing, shes still eating drinking and just as active as before. shes only abt 3 1/2 years old and ive had her since she was a kit and the only issue shes ever had is sneezing which i started giving her herbs and she hasnt had any problems in about 8 months with her breathing or sneezing or anything. it almost sounds like she is snoring or somthing like that? The only thing ive changed is i got a new carpet for them since the old one was very gross but i dont see how that would cause an issue since the new one is cleaner? Any ideas what this could be or should i just take her to the vet?

Increased respiratory effort can be an indication of a health problem. I had a rabbit it happened to along with some other symptoms, and his ended up being a thymoma. Heart problems, respiratory problems, heat stress, something causing pain, chemical exposure, can all be causes for more labored breathing.

If your carpet is off gassing fumes from the chemicals used to make it, because your rabbits nose would always be right there next to the carpet and fumes, that could be a possible explanation. Though not sure what you can do about that if your whole place is carpeted.

With you being in Florida, I would also rule out it being heat stress, if it's hotter in her current environment now. If it is heat stress, then you'll need to take measures to correct that. If it's not heat stress, then the only way to find out if it's a health problem causing it is by seeing your vet and having an exam and possibly xrays and blood tests done. If your rabbit is unspayed, that could also be a risk, as uterine cancer can spread to the lungs.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Increased respiratory effort can be an indication of a health problem. I had a rabbit it happened to along with some other symptoms, and his ended up being a thymoma. Heart problems, respiratory problems, heat stress, something causing pain, chemical exposure, can all be causes for more labored breathing.

If your carpet is off gassing fumes from the chemicals used to make it, because your rabbits nose would always be right there next to the carpet and fumes, that could be a possible explanation. Though not sure what you can do about that if your whole place is carpeted.

With you being in Florida, I would also rule out it being heat stress, if it's hotter in her current environment now. If it is heat stress, then you'll need to take measures to correct that. If it's not heat stress, then the only way to find out if it's a health problem causing it is by seeing your vet and having an exam and possibly xrays and blood tests done. If your rabbit is unspayed, that could also be a risk, as uterine cancer can spread to the lungs.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Okay thank you! She is an indoor bun so the temp is always the same, and she is also spayed. I’ve got another bunny as well and he’s not having any issues so would that rule out the carpet being an issue? I will probably take to her to the vet if it doesn’t stop in a few days but she really only does it at night for some reason as well

Latest posts

Back