Rabbit botfly in my house, in same room as my rabbit...How freaked out should I be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
So I just noticed this giant bumbling fly thing in my living room, going crazy trying to find its way out near the window. It came in because my boyfriend had the front door open. The fly finally stood still long enough for me to look at it...totally, without question, a rabbit-specific botfly (cuterebra)!

I don't think it had any opportunity to get near Ula, who was hanging out under the coffee table. And I think this coincidentally flew in from outside, and since I live in the woods, rabbits are everywhere.

Should I be worried that this thing laid an egg on Ula? I read that they lay eggs near burrows rather than directly on rabbits.

So paranoid! She does not need a larva tumor. Ugh.

The fly was killed shortly after I discovered it.

I'll admit I'm not an expert, but I believe the chances are slim to none that your rabbit is in danger.

Seems to me our vet told us the thing about them laying eggs in the dirt, and keeping the rabbit off the dirt would avoid the rabbit getting bot fly problems.

Don't panic, just be a little more watchful for awhile.

yep, just keep an eye on her. lots of petting and as long as you don't feel any abnormal lumps, I wouldn't worry.

Back