Rabbit Book Reviews

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted, but I figured I would start a thread about rabbit books.

I just finished reading Rabbitlopaedia: A Complete Guide to Rabbit Care. I was pretty disappointed with the book. Too short history section, and the care focused on outdoor hutch living rather than house rabbits (a few small sections were included). However I liked the autonomy section and the A-Z illness list. Overall, I give it a C.

Why Does My Rabbit...? by McBride is a bit cartoonish and very outdated. While the list of "Reasons" for behaviors is nice, it is better to stick with the forum for questions than this book. I give it a D.

House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit is of course the basic rabbit handbook, and the HRS promotes it. It is a great beginners book with good information. However, it isn't as comprehensive for advance owners, but a great starter manual. I give it a B.

Rabbit Health in the 21st Century is a must have book on hand. It gives you a list of ailments, signs, medicine, and alternative meds for your rabbit. This is a great manual and reference book. I wish there was more detailed drawings and images to help, but overall a must have. I give it an A.

Stories Rabbit Tell is a very misleading title. I bought this book in hope that it was stories about rabbits. However, it is a super comprehensive about the history, imagery, and place of rabbits in society. It is jam packed of interesting information. However, at some times it is dull to read (Especially if your not a history/information person) and there is a section about meat rabbits which was heartbreaking to read. They even go over rabbits in the media, which I thought was a great section. Overall, it is a really great book to read. I give it a B+

Feel free to correct my ratings with your own opinions and add your books! :)

And if you decide you want to pick up these books, why not use amazon? When you use this link, 15% of the order goes to Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue!

http://www.bhrabbitrescue.org/links/bookstore.htm

[align=center]I just bought this book at Borders a little while back because I love reading about rabbits and all XD

51I6ImpmPGL.jpg

I haven't finished reading it yet but I quite enjoy it. It has a lot of good information so far (especially on breed history- which I love reading about!), it has lots of pictures (I love looking at pictures of rabbits and it makes this book quite interesting), it touches on a lot of things that impressed me... =)

It talks a lot about rabbit behavior, health, diet, housing, and it really points out that rabbits are not toys and rabbits WILL be rabbits. It even has a section called "Things to do with your rabbit"... many people dunno how to interact with their rabbit so this is helpful =)

So far I haven't found any problems with information so I'd give it an A. It's over 200 pages long!

That book looks great. I am going to go order it. Although this review made me laugh...I mean really? You have the diet wrong, and who cares if it was geared towards rescue? 98% of the books I read are geared to breeding.

"This book would much better if it wasn't mostly geared towards rabbit rescue. The breeding section also starts off with reasons not to breed your rabbit because of them ending up at shelters. Could have done without that. There is also nothing in it that educates on how to properly feed and condition a rabbit for show, other then you must feed your rabbit lots of veggies,and very little pellets. A diet that is not thoroughly researched, and not good for most rabbits(it can make them very sick). Could have been written and researched better, without adding the anti breeding propaganda."

:nope:

[align=center]It is great =D

I'm a little confused with what you wrote XD What review are you talking about? O_O

Rabbit Health in the 21st Century is a must have book on hand. It gives you a list of ailments, signs, medicine, and alternative meds for your rabbit. This is a great manual and reference book. I wish there was more detailed drawings and images to help, but overall a must have. I give it an A.

Stories Rabbit Tell is a very misleading title. I bought this book in hope that it was stories about rabbits. However, it is a super comprehensive about the history, imagery, and place of rabbits in society. It is jam packed of interesting information. However, at some times it is dull to read (Especially if your not a history/information person) and there is a section about meat rabbits which was heartbreaking to read. They even go over rabbits in the media, which I thought was a great section. Overall, it is a really great book to read. I give it a B+
I thought these were both great books. I would also recommend:

Touched by a Rabbit: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=touched+by+a+rabbit&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=1469524227&ref=pd_sl_4965nqiy3l_e

and When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care: http://www.amazon.com/When-Your-Rabbit-Needs-Special/dp/159580031X This is one of the best rabbit health care books I've ever found.

Hershey, A Tale of a Curious HouseRabbit is a fictional story based on real rabbits. It's more of a young adult book, but I enjoyed it too! http://www.amazon.com/Hershey-Tale-Curious-House-Rabbit/dp/1936343312

What is Touched by a Rabbit about?

I forgot to add When your rabbit need special care! That i also a must have!

I am going to get the Rabbit Health in the 21st Century second edition and touched by a rabbit. My only rabbit book at home is rabbits for dummies which is a good read I find to be a really good starter book

bunnycarrot1 wrote:
I am going to get the Rabbit Health in the 21st Century second edition and touched by a rabbit. My only rabbit book at home is rabbits for dummies which is a good read I find to be a really good starter book

I would recommend When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care http://www.amazon.com/When-Your-Rabbit-Needs-Special/dp/159580031X

over Rabbit Health in the 21st Century for a rabbit health care book. I have both, but prefer When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care.

Last edited by a moderator:
slavetoabunny wrote:
bunnycarrot1 wrote:

I would recommend When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care http://www.amazon.com/When-Your-Rabbit-Needs-Special/dp/159580031X

I want that one but just never seem to have the money to buy it when I think about it. :expressionless

Back