Rabbit Bite

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopsy

Reaction score
So yesterday Pumpkin and Bandit were running around in the backyard and whenever they got close I just moved them to opposite sides of the yard.

Well then Bandit took off and went to bite pumpkin and I just moved into between them and I guess bandit didn't realize that it was me and not pumpkin and latched onto my thigh. He did not let go he held on for probably 5-10 seconds. I didn't smack at him or anything because I didn't want him to feel as though I was attacking him. Anyway he deffinatly broke the skin and its well a bite I put some hydrogen peroxide on it and then neosporine and was off on my happy way.

Well I showed my dad last night and he was talking about rabbies and a tetnus shot :eek:!!!! noooo so there have only been three cases of rabies this year(or month? im like 97% sure it was year though well whichever makes more sense lol) in my county so I'm not really worried about rabies. But what did he mean a tetnus shot? I thought that was only for like rusty nails and such. Wouldn't it be too late anyway.

I'm such a loser, but it's a pretty bad bite for a rabbit lol.

Honestly...if you haven't had a tetnus shot in the last 10 years you should probably get one anyway...(I went out of country recently and not only got a lecture about it but got poked full of holes while I tried to escape the travel nurses office!) lol Needless to say I am up to date on every innoculation I had successfully avoided since high school! :D

Rabbit bites hurt like heck...but if you cleaned it and keep an eye out for inflamation or reddening...I wouldn't worry.
Our one Lionhead latched onto my baby finger shortly after we brought him home and held on too. He finally let go...but he kept a small chunk and ate it...gross...and painful...but he never bit me again after. He almost took my whole finger print off! It was the bruising that hurt the most!

Good Luck!:D
Danielle

I had my last one 8 years ago and got jabbed again anyway...but I was having spine surgery in India...so I think for a minor wound you should be fine...;)

If you are worried you could always just call the clinic and ask them if they think it is necessary...

Always consult a doctor whenever you suffer a bite from an animal wild or tame. You should also keep yourself vaccinated for all of the up to date vaccines.

The ten years between tetnus shots is a rough estimate for different people, I know in Australia they recommend you get a booster every five years or something like that. It can't hurt to go in with all your relevant medical details to your doctor.

Runestonez wrote:
Honestly...if you haven't had a tetnus shot in the last 10 years you should probably get one anyway...(I went out of country recently and not only got a lecture about it but got poked full of holes while I tried to escape the travel nurses office!) lol Needless to say I am up to date on every innoculation I had successfully avoided since high school! :D

Rabbit bites hurt like heck...but if you cleaned it and keep an eye out for inflamation or reddening...I wouldn't worry.
Our one Lionhead latched onto my baby finger shortly after we brought him home and held on too. He finally let go...but he kept a small chunk and ate it...gross...and painful...but he never bit me again after. He almost took my whole finger print off! It was the bruising that hurt the most!

Good Luck!:D
Danielle
Oh gosh he ate it? That's so gross!! And creepy as heck!

Flopsy, like you said, you don't need to worry about rabies. He doesn't have them. I'm sure you can find websites explaining rabies that you could show to your dad, maybe it would make him feel better.

I've only had one really bad bite, it was a year and a half ago and I still have the scar!

Rabbit bites do hurt and they can be really deep.
I've never heard of a rabbit getting rabies, so I think you're safe there.
Personally, I'd just keep it clean and keep an eye out for infection.

Yeah, if you're going to get bit, make sure its a rabbit. They really don't carry much in the way of bacteria (it may be a herbivore thing I think), rabbies, etc. And the shape of the teeth make them comparatively painless, at least compared to most other bites.

I think you're pretty safe. :)

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back