Rabbit Bit By Other Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam9

Reaction score
So I have two rabbits, both males, one just over 6 months and the other just over. Originally they came together, but once their rabbit hormones began running wild we had to separate them. They were out once together since then, and the resulting chase made me decide they wouldn't be out again together until they're fixed.

Today, I let out one of them, Einstein, and he was hopping around the other's (Butterscotch) cage. This makes Butterscotch jealous, so I usually pull Einstein away fairly quickly, but apparently not quickly enough this time. Butterscotch was able to stick his nose through the grid (it's a NIC cage) and bite Einstein on the lip!

I saw this and picked him up and looked him over, not noticing at first, them a few minutes later when I was holding him I noticed blood on my shirt. I dabbed away the excess with a wet cotton ball and he seems to be okay now - he's been hopping around and eating - but I want to know if there's anything I should be doing to make the wound heal faster? Picture below - not the best quality, but you get the idea. The wound is to the right of his mouth.

(obviously the rabbits will be kept away from each other from now on)

46261_753809158294_5319560_42304620_875983_n.jpg

You can put a bit of Betadine (can be picked up at human pharmacy) on it. Betadine is safe if ingested according to my vet, so I would advise using that to disinfect it.

It should heal fine. If it is a bad bite, he might have a bit of a lump on his lip, but won't cause any long term trouble for him.

-Dawn

Betadine is good and so is neosporin ointment (the kind without pain medication added).

Latest posts

Back