Rabbit attacked by cat (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyWabbit

Reaction score
Creela has been attacked by a cat. She has a small bite wound on her head, and she seems to be limping/walking weirdly. I cleaned the wound already, but I'm most worried about her leg. However, here is the saddest part. My parents won't take me to the vet because they don't want the hassle and fee over an animal. They don't even want to surrender the rabbits to a shelter. I'm alone in this.

Anyway last night after Creela got attacked I put her in the cage and let her rest. Now it's the next day. Does anyone here know what to do next? I know I'm pretty much helpless but I need all the help I can get. Please ask any clarfiying questions and help me. I can post pictures and everything. I love my Creela dearly.

I'm so sorry you're in this predicament. Cats spread nasty bacteria when they bite, your bunny really really needs to see a vet now. She will most likely be in some pain and shock and the wounds could well get infected.
It will be cheaper to get her treated now, if she is left and becomes very ill the vet's bills will be an awful lot higher.
I don't know about in the US but in the UK, if you are under 18 your parents are responsible for your pet's welfare and would be breaking the law under the Animal Welfare Act.
Perhaps show them this thread? They are allowing your rabbit to suffer.

Is she eating and pooping?

I'm so sorry you're in this predicament. Cats spread nasty bacteria when they bite, your bunny really really needs to see a vet now. She will most likely be in some pain and shock and the wounds could well get infected.
It will be cheaper to get her treated now, if she is left and becomes very ill the vet's bills will be an awful lot higher.
I don't know about in the US but in the UK, if you are under 18 your parents are responsible for your pet's welfare and would be breaking the law under the Animal Welfare Act.
Perhaps show them this thread? They are allowing your rabbit to suffer.

Is she eating and pooping?
I think it was a domestic cat and I clean it every once in a while. I don't think she is eating.

If she's not eating, then you need to get her to the vet ASAP.
You need to get your rabbit to the vet even if your parents refuse. She might end up dying if you don't get to it fast enough.
If they're not willing to help your rabbit, they shouldn't have anything to say if you try to help her yourself. Use public transport, call around nearby rabbit rescues, see if maybe your other relatives would be willing to help if your parents are being so stubborn about not helping your rabbit.
Go to a exotic vet website and show your parents that. (Our vet has a list of ASAP emergencies on their website, one of many are scratches and bites from others). Essentially try to rub it in their faces, eg "See, even vet sites say this is an emergency" In a similar vein, if you can get a person from a rabbit shelter to talk with your parents on call, that might also work. Or make an agrrement that you'll pay for the vet expenses when you can-when you get gift money or get a job or something, anything will do. Essentially it's loaning resources from them and then paying it back.

Domestic or wild, makes no difference unfortunately. Cleaning the outside of the wound is fine, but the bite may well have introduced bacteria internally.
A rabbit not eating is classed as an emergency. They very quickly go into GI stasis which can be fatal.
Please, do whatever you can to get her to the vets ASAP to give her the best chance.
If you can't get her to a vet, you need to hand both rabbits over to a rescue so she can get the treatment she desperately needs.

If she's not eating, then you need to get her to the vet ASAP.
You need to get your rabbit to the vet even if your parents refuse. She might end up dying if you don't get to it fast enough.
If they're not willing to help your rabbit, they shouldn't have anything to say if you try to help her yourself. Use public transport, call around nearby rabbit rescues, see if maybe your other relatives would be willing to help if your parents are being so stubborn about not helping your rabbit.
Go to an exotic vet website and show your parents that. (Our vet has a list of ASAP emergencies on their website, one of many are scratches and bites from others). Essentially try to rub it in their faces, eg "See, even vet sites say this is an emergency" In a similar vein, if you can get a person from a rabbit shelter to talk with your parents on call, that might also work. Or make an agrrement that you'll pay for the vet expenses when you can-when you get gift money or get a job or something, anything will do. Essentially it's loaning resources from them and then paying it back.
They don’t allow anything. im bursting with tears

They don’t allow anything. im bursting

Creela has been attacked by a cat. She has a small bite wound on her head, and she seems to be limping/walking weirdly. I cleaned the wound already, but I'm most worried about her leg. However, here is the saddest part. My parents won't take me to the vet because they don't want the hassle and fee over an animal. They don't even want to surrender the rabbits to a shelter. I'm alone in this.

Anyway last night after Creela got attacked I put her in the cage and let her rest. Now it's the next day. Does anyone here know what to do next? I know I'm pretty much helpless but I need all the help I can get. Please ask any clarfiying questions and help me. I can post pictures and everything. I love my Creela dearly.

Camden Pet Hospital in San Jose sees rabbits and offers emergency services during regular hours:

4960 Camden Ave
San Jose, CA 95124
phone: (408) 265-2200

Get an Uber or find a ride from a friend you trust. Go now! Godspeed.

Creela has passed.

We took her to a vet. They gave her an x-ray scan, painkillers, and anti-inflammatory drugs. It costed 800$.

The day after that, creela did not seem so well, even after the medicine. I kept on syringe feeding and caring for her.

The next day (Today), at 7:00, we found creela dead. Tears pouring from my eyes, We silently drove her to an animal cremation place. Creela’s ashes will be scattered on napa hills.image.jpg

I'm so sorry 😢 At least you got her to the vet so she had some painkillers. RIP Creela, over the Rainbow Bridge 🌈❤️

Creela has passed.

We took her to a vet. They gave her an x-ray scan, painkillers, and anti-inflammatory drugs. It costed 800$.

The day after that, creela did not seem so well, even after the medicine. I kept on syringe feeding and caring for her.

The next day (Today), at 7:00, we found creela dead. Tears pouring from my eyes, We silently drove her to an animal cremation place. Creela’s ashes will be scattered on napa hills.View attachment 65051
I’m so sorry for your loss…my tears are running too!
You tried to do your best for her. Now she is out of pain but I know your heart is in pain.
We support you in all you have done for her,
Hugs and prayers for your broken heart 💔

Likewise adding my condolences.

There was a Facebook group post about a bun attacked by a domestic cat with images. Little one, beautiful harlequin (but coloring does not matter) did not survive either. Just as you tried your best to help Creela, the Rescue group sought vet care immediately.

Cat bites are nothing to fool with.

(My BIL got bit by MIL's cat and his hand and thumb got majorly infected.) My heart weeps for what happened to Creela.

Likewise adding my condolences.

There was a Facebook group post about a bun attacked by a domestic cat with images. Little one, beautiful harlequin (but coloring does not matter) did not survive either. Just as you tried your best to help Creela, the Rescue group sought vet care immediately.

Cat bites are nothing to fool with.

(My BIL got bit by MIL's cat and his hand and thumb got majorly infected.) My heart weeps for what happened to Creela.
Hoping this information helps you! You did all that you could for Creela so please be kind to yourself! Some things are just out of our hands. My heart goes out to you as you grieve the loss of your sweet Creela!💔💔💕🥰

Back