Rabbit ate plastic bag

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocoClover

Rabbit Geek
Reaction score
Theo ate a portion of a plastic bag!

Help!

The bag is behind the cage so that the wall doesn't get sprayed on. I came in to see that it had been pulled through the bars and was in the process of being chewed.

Theo does have good cardboard to chew on. However, he always prefers to chew his litter box (plastic) and this bag. It has happened before with no ill effects.

Should I be worried about stasis? I'm not quite sure about how much he actually ingested. He is acting normally, pooping, peeing, eating, drinking, etc.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400543772.137745.jpg

This shows the plastic in the back. I ripped off a bunch of it because I didn't want him to chew it anymore.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400543833.937906.jpg

This is the piece I ripped off. As you can see, there are largish holes from where he chewed. I also found a small piece of plastic in his cage that had been totally ripped off the whole.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400543961.725174.jpg

This is the litter box. He chewed some bits off it, too.

He is leaping, hopping, running throughout his cage and doesn't seem to be in pain or anything.

Should I be really worried?

If you don't know how much he ate, you'll have to keep a very close eye on him and his poops. Plastic bag material can be dangerous because it doesn't break down in the gut, so a blockage is possible. Check on him often and try to pick all his poops out of his cage every 6 hours or so, so that if he stops pooping you'll notice the absence.

You may have to bring him to the vet to get the blockage removed if there is one.

Oh thank GOODNESS! Theo is well. I think the danger has passed (right?) and he is okay. He must not have ingested very much.

None of the bunnies are able to chew the plastic anymore.

Yes it sure was good luck.

I'm just glad I didn't have to take him to the vet. My mom wouldn't have been happy about the expense.

Latest posts

Back