rabbit ate 100% chocolate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enfield

Reaction score
he's a holland lop. It was about a quarter of a teaspoon. (i eat small circles of bakers chocolate, and one fell on the floor, and he had half).

I gave him some greens immediately. I know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning is a big concern. I hope his body will be able to handle it alright.

for dogs approximately 1.3 g of baker's chocolate per kilogram weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity.

my rabit is 6 pounds, and if rabbits respond like dogs, then .12oz would be the limit.

6 teaspoon = 1 ounce. My refined estimate is he got 1/5 of a teaspoon, so 1/30 (.033) of an ounce.

Unless a rabbit is > 4x as sensitive as a dog (I couldn't find any data on rabbits) he should be okay.

Rabbits have higher metabolisms, although I don't know what that means in terms of chocolate consumption.

Lots of info in this thread, including links to other cases and info.

www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=67971&forum_id=16

Any signs of lethargy? Distress?

Hope he's okay! Let us know.

sas :clover:

Thanks for the link!

no signs yet. but supposedly it takes at least a few hours for any symptoms to develop.

the vet treatment seems to be activated charcoal + i.v. hydration. good to know there is an effective procedure for dealing with it. If I see anything obviously wrong i will go to the vet.

Latest posts

Back