Rabbit and Chinchilla

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rell

Reaction score
Ok. so I've been reading online about rabbits and chinchillas and so far i have only read facts that seem to be common sense. Like you shouldn't put them in the same cage, keep the rabbit away from the chin's dust and to keep their diets separate.
Now I have a "free-range" rabbit (I put it in quotes because there is still places in the house she is not aloud.) I just got a new room mate and she just got a chin. Alice (my rabbit) has her cage in the living room and the chin's cage is the room mates room. Now i don't believe because they are different species they will hate each other. I've seen this proven wrong way to many times. Animals don't like each other for the same reason humans don't like each other - their personalities clash.
So i am asking is there any health risks in having the two pets in the same room???
Thanks,
Lorelle

Supposedly, there is a bacteria that rabbits carry that are deadly to chinchillas, pasteurella will cause abscesses and URI's that can be deadly if not treated fast. I've seen people house them near each other without a problem, but I would not say there is zero risk.

By the way, hello fellow Calgarian :)

I found out about this bacteria problem the other day, so i wash my hands really well now making sure i get rid of all bacteria after handling my rabbit and then going to handle my chinchillas. Plus id never house anything else or let anything else play with a rabbit as they kick, my brother had a rabbit and a guineapig together and he killed it probably on accident because they got on just fine, after that i separated my guineapigs from my rabbit even though joey did love snowy the guineapig a lot because they'd snuggle up together but it is 2 much of a risk. I guess we were not educated on that enough back in the day as pets at home sold rabbit and guineas together but do not anymore.

ps. my rabbit and chinchillas have no contact my rabbits outside and chins in my bedroom

Rose
x

Latest posts

Back