Rabbit and Cat As Friends

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darfi

Reaction score
Heya all,

It's been awhile since I posted so here's an update. I did apply to be a foster mom for another rabbit or a cat but I haven't heard diddly in over a month now. Well, I happened upon an ad in the paper from the Humane Society about this kitty they called Sprite. A sweet little female, spayed, and a total cuddle bug. She places her little kitty arms around your neck and gives hugs and purrs! The lady I've been speaking to says the household has nicknamed her Locket because of her sweet hugs and always being close to your heart, literally. Well, I couldn't help myself. Today i'm getting litter and food, I already got a nice collar and some mouse toys to play with for her since I was anticipating having a cat around anyhow. So, now my question.

I've seen cats and rabbits getting along super well in some of your photos peeps, and I was wondering if there are any bits of advice I can get beforeI let them get super up close and personal when I take Sprite AKA Locket home.

Mine got along strait away on their own. My advice would be to try to introduce them on neutral territory. Somewhere your bun doesn't usually go. Just let them sniff/check each other out and only interviene if necessary. I have one cat who used to swat at Floppy sometimes and that only made him "love" her more. He used to chase her around and try to hump her, before he was neutered.

It can be quite hard to suppress that hunting instinct in a cat, and seeing as cute little bunny running and binkying seems to drive most cats crazy!

I think a lot of it depends on the cat and rabbit in question. Some cats are more likely to listen to their owner when being told "no!", and others will totally ignore you and chase the bunny anyway. Some rabbits will cower in fear from a cat, some are bold and cheeky and will chase the cat right back.

With my cat Brewster, I trained her from a kitten. When we got her she was much smaller than my rabbits, so feared them a little. I brought her and a bunny into a small area every day (such as my bed), and encouraged Brewster to interact calmly with the bunny. It wasn't long until she pretty much would totally ignore a rabbit altogether. She will sleep when them running around her, and hasn't ever tried to attack one.

Praise the cat for good behavour, and as hard as it might be, don't get too angry if she is naughty, as it's in her instincts to chase and pay with prey animals and it's pretty much telling her that she's being naughty for just being her.

Help her to fufill her hunting instincts in other ways. It might sound strange, but I turn on an inside light and leave a window open and a few moths will come in. Brewster loves this! She will hunt them for ages, then it tires her out, and she's much more likely to play nice with rabbits.

Edited for terrible spelling!

NZminilops wrote:
It can be quite hard to suppress that hunting instinct in a cat, and seeing as cute little bunny running and binkying seems to drive most cats crazy!

I think a lot of it depends on the cat and rabbit in question.

My Nibs, just automatically decided his favorite thing in the world was cats, all on his own. When I got Nibs, I had one cat and I am just amazed she did not try to eat him, but she never did, she tolerated him, although she didn't like him, but never tried to hurt him. years later while I was working at an Animal Sanctuary and living in the cat room, with over 18 cats - Nibs was loose with them a lot of the time and slept with them. Not one of them ever tried to hurt him. But I know this is NOT normal lol. Our kitty now is fine while the buns are in their enclosures but when loose, tries to chase them. I don't think he really wants to kill them, but he does see them as pray. However, an Angora that arrived with babies got out of her enclosure one day with her kids, and our kitty (P2) tried to get them... Tahiti (the mama bun) beat the hell out of P2, and as a result, P2 won't go near any of our rabbits now lol.

Sorry for the long post! Got into story telling mode! Like NZ said, it depends on the kitty and the bun, but you need to be careful. However it is very possible for them to get along brilliantly. :biggrin2:

I have four cats and two bunnies and they all get along great!

In my situation, the cats were around first and it was THEIR territory but I still didn't have any problems. I would think that having the rabbit first might make things even easier.

It looks like your bunny is pretty good size so there really is a good chance that she will likely assert herself with the cat. I know that both Henri (6 lbs) and Acorn (3lbs) had absolutely no trouble at all letting the cats know that they are indeed boss, not the kitties.

How old is the kitty?

I would take the advice of the others and introduce first in neutral territory so that you can get a feel for both how the cat and the rabbit will react. If you don't see any problems at first, I would just let them be (watching carefully at first of course).

Go to the Bunny 101 section of our Library, to the thread under the name "Rabbits and Cats". You should find your answer there.

Marietta

Thanks everyone!

101 has great info, I also wanted to hear how others do with thier own cat/rabbit homes, experience is the best knowledge!

Locket, (I decided she will be named her nickname since it's oh so fitting) is approx. 1 year old, she's a kind of tortoise shell with orange markings around her face. I get to meet her today and if I am permitted, will bring her home today as well. I just finished a 40 minute bike ride in the cold wind going to the pet store and back for food, litter and treats!

I think I will begin with letting them smell each other while Isis is still in her cage and see what happens, if they seem more curious than anything, I will let Isis out and hold Locket for a minute and see what she reacts like. If she pounces Isis I will seperate them and go from there. I can't wait to post a picture of Locket and show her off! She's my first kitty of my very own!

I've not had a single problem with my two kitties and the buns. Honestly, they just steer clear, because they don't like that every single bun we have tends to want to chase them down to get a sniff of that long tail.

I started out by putting Soft Claws on the cats, but then quickly realized I just had to clip them now and then (I check their claws before I let the buns out for playing and clip what needs clipping).

And I've found that kitties that have a high prey drive outside (and even kitties that might chase down/hunt a cottontail outside) KNOW that your indoor buns are part of the family and view them differently. They won't have that prey drive with family.

Cats are so intelligent, and so apt at picking up who you view as family, and who would be "fair game", so to speak. And ESPECIALLY given that Prince was there first, and Kitty's being added secondly, you won't have a problem AT ALL. Kitties have GREAT respect for one another and for other animals. If the animal was there first, kitties view them as having seniority...and will give them the respect they feel they deserve in that.

How old is Sprite AKA Locket?

Edited to add: I've had over 20 kitties over the past 18yrs...:)

maherwoman wrote:
I've not had a single problem with my two kitties and the buns. Honestly, they just steer clear, because they don't like that every single bun we have tends to want to chase them down to get a sniff of that long tail.

And I've found that kitties that have a high prey drive outside (and even kitties that might chase down/hunt a cottontail outside) KNOW that your indoor buns are part of the family and view them differently. They won't have that prey drive with family.

Cats are so intelligent, and so apt at picking up who you view as family, and who would be "fair game", so to speak. And ESPECIALLY given that Prince was there first, and Kitty's being added secondly, you won't have a problem AT ALL. Kitties have GREAT respect for one another and for other animals. If the animal was there first, kitties view them as having seniority...and will give them the respect they feel they deserve in that.

How old is Sprite AKA Locket?

Edited to add: I've had over 20 kitties over the past 18yrs...:)

Those are definately some good points. I think that people who don't have experience with cats are more likely to think "oh no, hunters" but even though that instinct is there, like Maherwoman said, cats are smart, they learn really quick what animals are family and they know not to mess with them. When I first got Trinity and Bentley, I even had a hamster that they knew was family and not prey.I could let him out (without his ball) and he would run around the house and the cats wouldn't mess with him at all.

I think maherwoman is also right about the seniority thing. With the rabbit already established in the house, it is probably more likely that the cat will be scared of the bunny at first then the other way around.

Locket is 1.5 years old and I don't get to have her.

I went to this reeking mobile home where a short woman with platinum hair, drawn on red eyebrows, balled up AND chunked black mascara, a black leather beret and what appeard to be a rather large burn mark on her nose, answered the door. It sort of seemed like she had maybe lit her nose on fire during the previous night (and she said she was out late cause her mom was out kareeokeeing it up in competition).

Anyways, half of the cats, and there were probably atleast 8-10, I didn't get to count but there were enough variety to make mental note, were REALLY fat. All the cat's fur was filmy and oily. And, the worst thing, all the cats were infected with (except Locket she said) a respiratory infection. I saw them all wheezing and sneezing. Most had super shallow breathing in rapid rhythm.

Now, I know these things can spread like wildfire if one has it, and these cats are Humane Society cats, you never know a cat's origin in these places, but, what I do know is that the cats prefer to be out on the sundeck where the air is not clouded with the stench of oily cats and cigarette smoke.

I patted Locket, let her sniff me out and gave her lots of rubs on her cheeks and chin, she really liked it. I got her in my arms and held her for a little moment, then I took her in to the waiting Hangover Lady and her husband. I mentioned the respiratory issue and she said that all the cats, except Locket, have the infection. I wondered how Locket has kept so well in a swarm of infection and filth. I desperately wanted to get her the heck out of Dodge since she was the last to make it through this infection. I filled out the paperwork, gave her the moneyand got in the waiting taxi. Locket was in a box at this time and not impressed. She was pawing her way through the cardboard folds and popping her head out. She meowed a bunch, shehas a nice meow.I tried to shove her, as nicely as possible - man she's a strong cat - back into the box as I got her to the front door. The building manager was standing right there. I thought, sweet, he'll let me in and this will be easier. Actually, he stopped me in my tracks and laid a good what-for into me about cats not being permitted and if my rabbit is being let out of her cage, she will have to go too. Now, I know of 2 people on my floor who have cats. I didn't know this was a big deal, and he is aware of my rabbit, I didn't know SHE was a big deal. Now i'm sad as can be. I do not want to bring her back there. I start asking myself a hundred questions on how to get away with this. I got nothin.

So I got back in the taxi and took her right back. I let her on my lap on the way back. She sat calm and chillaxed for ride. She enjoyed agood cuddle and then I brought her back to the infection box. As soon as I put her on the floor inside the door I felt a pang of betrayal already. I had my heart ready for that cat.

The Hangover Lady gave me back my money and understood my predicament. She might be a nice person, but whoa on the homestead there.

So, I've been telling my daughter that if she was a good girl we can have a kitty. I got a collar and toy mice and let her show them off to family and friends and she brags how she's been a good girl and we're getting a kitty. I can't even begin to phrase this to her in my mind. How do I tell her all her good behaviour and everything I told her is for nothing?

I am one unbubbly woman now. I feel so sad for Locket and for my daughter....and for me. I can't wait to get a different place of my own and have the call on whether or not I have a cat. If it's soon, maybe i'll get Locket again.....

Oh Sweetie...what a terrible terrible thing to have happen...I'm so so sorry. :(

That's just awful all the way around...

I wish I had more encouraging words and advice...and maybe once I wake up more (from my flu-filled body knocking me out again), I'll have some gem of wisdom for you...

But at least know that my heart is with you. That's just awful...:(

Hugs and lots of love,

Rosie*

Oh man, I'm really sorry.

The only thing I could suggest is to get out your lease and look it over. If cats aren't allowed, it should be in there. Chances are, if they are allowed that your complex requires a pet deposit and maybe extra pet rent for them. Maybe there is an off chance that your manager was mostly upset that the rules weren't followed completely.

On that note, if you do find that cats are allowed in your apartment, if at all possible I would address the issue with someone other then the manager you had the run in with.

I think that most rentals don't see rabbits as a problem because they are considered "caged" animals in their minds. That's probably why he made the comment about the rabbit being out of it's cage. At least that's pretty much how it goes in my area.

Yeah, I phoned the manager when I got back to let him know that I took the kitty back and he sounded relieved about it. I asked him if there was any way around it, like maybe I can pay an extra deposit, I have friends who have that option in thier duplex. He said that used to be possible but the landlady was finding the apartments wrecked from cat urine and scratched up carpets. Well, I think in those cases, again, bad owners wreck it for the rest of us, and potential pets. So, since I know of the two others cats on my floor, I didn't say anything about them. I figure, well, if they can keep thier cats, let them keep them and I won't be the one to dehome a cat and/or tenant.

The lease agreement does say no pets are allowed however the manager is allowed a dog on the first floor and that there is an exception to the fine print. I have a rabbit, used to have 2. Another exception. Two other people have cats, but uhhh I guess that's an exception by obliviousness.

Sigh, just not my time I guess.

Back