(R.I.P) Strange paralysis after neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodBunny

Reaction score
One of our shelter bunnies was neutered by this afternoon by the mobile unit that comes twice a week. The shelter has had multiple buns altered by this doctor and we haven't really had any issues until today.

Dooley (the bunny in question) is have some trouble using his back legs some six hours after the surgery. I've been involved after the fact and haven't been present for the entire ordeal, but we've removed him from the shelter and have him at one of our foster homes.

I'm told that originally, he had trouble with his front legs as well, but right now, the rear legs seem to be the largest issues. The fosterer says that he doesn't seem to be in any major distress, but is sort of dragging himself around the small area we have him confined to.

The vet who did the spay consulted with with a vet's office in Columbus (Ohio) and they were originally talking about White Muscle Disease, but I can't seem to find much information about that in rabbits.

I'm wondering if he's experiencing an unusually long recovery period from anesthesia. Has anyone ever heard of this? I've been working with bunnies for a few years now and have never seen this before.

My local vet is awesome, but he's on vacation right now and we don't really have any after hours places we can take him.

Any advice would be appreciated.

For now, do supportive care. Give him pain killers, something warm to snuggle with, etc. When you can get him to a vet and if he's still having problems, have xrays done. I do know of a case where bones were somehow accidentally broken during a spay surgery.

Any idea what anesthesia was used? Rabbits usually recover from anesthesia pretty quickly.

I hope everything works out ok!

GoodBunny wrote:
One of our shelter bunnies was neutered by this afternoon by the mobile unit that comes twice a week. The shelter has had multiple buns altered by this doctor and we haven't really had any issues until today.

Dooley (the bunny in question) is have some trouble using his back legs some six hours after the surgery. I've been involved after the fact and haven't been present for the entire ordeal, but we've removed him from the shelter and have him at one of our foster homes.

I'm told that originally, he had trouble with his front legs as well, but right now, the rear legs seem to be the largest issues. The fosterer says that he doesn't seem to be in any major distress, but is sort of dragging himself around the small area we have him confined to.

The vet who did the spay consulted with with a vet's office in Columbus (Ohio) and they were originally talking about White Muscle Disease, but I can't seem to find much information about that in rabbits.

I'm wondering if he's experiencing an unusually long recovery period from anesthesia. Has anyone ever heard of this? I've been working with bunnies for a few years now and have never seen this before.

My local vet is awesome, but he's on vacation right now and we don't really have any after hours places we can take him.

anesthesia,,//,i hope i am wrong,,but i am thinking brain damage,/nuerological,,i hope this has a happy ending:pray:,,sincerely james waller

It's possible too that he has kidney or liver disease and that's causing him to eliminate the anesthesia from his body much more slowly than is typical. How is his general alertness? If that is fine, and it's just a movement issue, I would look for spinal damage from unintentional rough handling, or kicking while partially sedated.

Hi all,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Unfortunately, Dooley passed at about 3:45 last night. He was a great little bun who didn't have a lot of time here on Earth. He was 4 months old.

We let Tom, Dooley's bond buddy, spend some time with him this morning. Tom got to groom him for the last time. And that made us feel good (and sad). Hopefully, we'll be able to bond Tom with another shelter bunny so that he won't have to be alone.

We miss the little feller terribly.

Thanks for all of your concern.

I am really sorry to hear about his passing. I have no idea what could have happened, but most rabbits that pass away unexpectedly after a neuter had a genetic defect of some sort, or had an undetected illness. There wasn't anything that can be done.

I hope your search for a new partner for Tom goes well and he may bond once more.

I'm really sorry to hear about Dooley.

Binky Free Dooley.

I'm so sorry. I agree that there was probably something going on with Dooley that you didn't know about. They can hide illness or genetic abnormalities quite well, it seems. I hope Tom can rebound from this well.

james waller wrote:
GoodBunny wrote:

anesthesia,,//,i hope i am wrong,,but i am thinking brain damage,/nuerological,,i hope this has a happy ending:pray:,,sincerely james waller
just got the word,,:cry1:,i donot do well at times like this,,godbless him/and your staff:cry1:sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back