R-7M ear mite treatment for cats & dogs safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
Is the r-7M ear mite treatment for cats and dogs safe to use on a 3 month old bun? I am finding a bunch of conflicting answers online and conflicting dosing. Some say not to use it and there are vets saying it's ok to use it every day for 2 weeks? I find myself trusting y'alls word above all others. Lol

I wouldn't based on this info on the medirabbit page.
'The use of over the counter products against mite or ear mites should be avoided. Most contain pyrethrin. While one of the least toxic insecticides for animals and rabbits, pyrethrins/pyrethroids are neurotoxins which lead to continuous "firing" of nerves. Observed problems in rabbits include limb paralysis, seizure, coma, tremor, sometimes death.

Many of those products contain additives that prolong the effect of the pyrethrins, and inhibit the breakdown of these products in the body. They can lead to toxic reactions in rabbits. Piperonyl butoxide is one of them.'

Pyrethrin and piperonyl butoxide are the active ingredients in R-7m.

Maybe it could be used safely somehow, but I wouldn't risk it since there are safer alternatives out there. I prefer Revolution(selamectin, spot on treatment) to treat mites in rabbits as it seems the safest and most effective. Ivermectin given orally, would be my second choice as there is some risk of it causing toxicity with it's use in rabbits with the vienna gene, but usually it is safe to use in rabbits.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

Last edited:
Revolution you have to get from your vet or a scrip from your vet to pick it up.

If you use ivermectin, make sure it's not the large animal paste and make sure to weigh your bun and calculate the dose correctly, as too much of an overdose can be dangerous. I use the 1% injectable cattle dewormer and administer it orally at 0.018ml/lb(very small amount), for 3 doses 14 days apart(according to the medirabbit link above).

Latest posts

Back