Quickest bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I know speed isn't really important when bonding, and it is the eventual outcome is the most important thing, but i was wondering if anyone has managed to bond successfully really quickly. I have just done my first bonding and i got the 2 living together in one of their hutches in a week. The rabbits i bonded are mother and son, but the son has been seperated for about 5 months for neutering, and making sure it has worked! So i guess that may be why it went to well, if she can remember that he is her son, but for whatever reason it worked and i'm really pleased, i don't like them being on their own if it isn't necessary.

I had a quick bonding with a trio, I could probably have had them living together after a week or so, but chose to do it slower having had buns fight after bonding.

It's probably likely that they just love each other, but it is possible (naturestee had a post on this somewhere) that they might fight within a few days if they have not sorted out their standings with each other. Naturestee's thread asked about that and it seemed many people had had that happen with their buns, including myself. But hopefully that won't happen to yours though :) Hopefully they will be all loved up :D

When I got Pernod and Perry, they bonded in the first hour :shock:. We had everyhting set up to keep them separate at first, but they fell in love instantly. They were laying snuggled up the first night, and we didn't have the heart to separate them, although we kept watching and listening to make sure all was OK. They stayed like that for nearly 4 years, until Perry went to The Bridge :(.

I hope this is the same for your bunnies! It makes life soooo much easier :)

Jan

My initial trio was bonded very quickly. I did a meet up at a local shelter, they got along really well. So I took them all home and set up a pen in neutral territory. They stayed in that pen for about two weeks, but they where pretty much bonded within a couple of days.

Some bunnies do have "love at first sight". Some take a long time, like my Sugar. She will not play nicely with the boys at all, so I gave up trying to force her.

--Dawn

Pebbles got along quite well with the bunnies that we bunnysat for, while the owners were on holidays. It only took 1 or 2 days for the nipping and humping to settle, then the rabbits would be great friends.

When we adopted the second bunny (Bebe), I think I waited too long before introducing them to each other. Pebbles was sneezing at that time, and I wanted to spay Bebe and have her heal before putting the two together. It was about six weeks before I tried bonding. By then the two wereaware of each other, and quite competitive for attention, foods, run space, toys and such. Everything had to be chinned, and poops and peewere every where to mark their territory.

So when I did try bonding, they would have the nastiest of fights. Pebbles was always the aggressor (being the first bunny and believing everything was hers). Bebe was afraid of Pebbles, but being the bigger and stronger bunny could inflict more damage to Pebbles.

6lv3w5w.jpg

How about bonding to YOU???

My guyes love each other, but I had a long road getting Lichen to think I was cool. It took about three weeks for me to be able to groom him and Bracken is still skitzy. Now Lichen nearly crawls into my lap, but I still have to have some kind of treat in it for him. Is it just personality?

So PB, does that mean that if you wait too long to bond rabbits there is a better chance of them fighting?

I'm glad you posted this, so now I've got my hopes up that bonding my newest one to Mace will be quick. Haha, better shrink my hopes down though.

XxMontanaxX wrote:
So PB, does that mean that if you wait too long to bond rabbits there is a better chance of them fighting?
That could be a reason.

There are alot of other factors or situations going on with the bunnies. Every case is different. Every bunny has their own personality.
Aurora369 said some bunnies will have 'love at first sight'. Other bunnies are too possessive and will not accept another in their world.

Everyone was saying take it slow. So I took my time, waiting for everything to be perfect. I waited for Pebbles to get better from her sneezing and for the time for her to finish all her medicine. I kept Bebe away from Pebbles because I was worried Bebe wouldcatch thesneezing. Then I waited for Bebe to get spayed and heal completely. All that time spent waiting, the two bunnies were claiming and marking their ownterritory.
There is hope for Pebbles and Bebe. I feel there was some progress made between the two. They have been fighting less. Some grooming has occurred before a scuffle would break out.

XxMontanaxX, in your case, Keira might bond to Macey right away. But when she matures, shewill change. Theycan be different after being fixed too.

It has a lot to do with personality more than anything. Sometimes you luck out and get 2 very compatible bunnies. Mocha and Zoey were 'love at first sight' pretty much. I never had more than a few nips here and there when Zoey got a little too possessive of things -- no mounting or anything. I still took my time and I think it took like 3 weeks before I fully bonded them but I could have had them living together after a few days. Zoey's extremely territorial but Mocha doesn't mind as long as she still understands that he's the boss. I have yet to find another rabbit that Zoey is okay with.

Spice was a very possessive rabbit, I swore he was unbondable for a very long time because he tried to attack every rabbit he came near and he even attacked me once or twice for smelling like another rabbit. I lucked out and found his soul mate, a very passive doe for the most part but for some reason Spice tolerated her mounting him which I thought he would definitely not tolerate that. I took about a month of bonding because I stopped in the middle and had Reese spayed but I think I only bonded them for a few days after she was spayed before putting them together permanently.

Oh and I had Zoey for about8 months before starting to bond her and Mocha. I really don't think it's a time thing. Spice had been alone for over 3 years before I bonded him to Reese who was a 5 year old bunny who had only lived with her own babies before coming to live with me.

The only reason time canbe a problem in my opinion is with respect toage. I don't bond young bunnies because I am afraid they will end up hitting the 'teen stage' and start fighting when I am not around.

Galaxy and Orion took about 2 weeks before I officially called them bonded. Galaxy came from the humane society so I had taken Orion there to pick out a friend. We let Galaxy and Orion play for 30 minutes and before the time was up, there were cuddled up together. I went slower with the bonding at home so Galaxy could get used to me before he was completely bonded with Orion. Galaxy and Orion are both neutered boys.

Nebula attached himself to the two boys within 48 hours. Since he's still a baby and not neutered, I haven't done any real bonding with him and the boys, but he learned how to sneak into their cage and I would find him cuddled up with the other two. Now that I've reinforced the cages and he can't break in or out, I find him laying on one side of the cage with the other two boys laying on the other side of the pen wall so they are touching and sleeping like that. After he's been neutered and had sufficient time to heal, I will start trying to bond the trio (one bonded pair and Nebula).

Phinn and Cleo bonded in about 3 or 4 days.

The first day Cleo was in her cage, and Phinn was outside of it running around

The second day they were out with eachother, in a bigger area, with us right there.

The third day same thing.

Then the fourth day we put them ontop of the ping-pong table. We did this because we realized they weren't spending much time with eachother if they had a bigger area. Once they were on the ping-pong table, it was like BAM. They spent that night together, with me sleeping right there.

They've been together happily ever since :).

Joy went to the shelter and met Love. They got along right from the first meeting.
The only bump in their bonding was when I tried to put them in space previously occupied by Joy and she said "No Way". Immediately started building a new space and put them right into it. They've been great together since the first day.

After reading so many of the stories of how long it took to bond never expected this. Owe it all to the Bunny Rescuer at Sweet Binks. She's always set us on the right path.

Back