Quick Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score
Okay, this is going to be quick since I'm alreadyup past my bedtime. I've been trying to get Tramp and Pidge used tousing a litter box and for the most part they are doing good. Tramp isthe best...though I've discovered he almost always is less trouble thanPidge LOL! My problem here is Pidge. The lil bugger has decided thelitter boxes are there for entertainment sakes to give her somethingelse to dig at and toss around the room. As of this moment I have a mixof litter and pellets around the litter box in probably a 4 footradius! I have one litter box in the cage with them (which I don't evenbother to shut the door to anymore since they have their own area about10'x10' to run around in without any cords or dangers for them to getinto. The other box is placed in the same corner (respectively) as theone in their cage to create the habit of always going to the sameplace. Is there anything I can do to prevent the spread of the litter!?It's really getting worse as time goes by. Any help would beappreciated!

Cheryl

Oh yeah.. she also like to go in the litter outside the box afterthrowing it all out so I still have a damp carpet in that corner...good thing we're getting rid of it anyhow! (and I am using the'yesterday's news' litter, if that's any help)

Hi Tramp&Pigeon,

Love your avatar!:cool:

Perhaps putting less litter in the box will curtail the digging problemand correcting them when they do it will help. It's workedfor me.

As for the pooping around the box and not in it, I watch Tuckercarefully when he starts to squat and I'll tell him, "Get in thebox!" When he jumps in, I say, "GoodBoy!" When he's done, he hops up to the couch andlooks for a treat and as I'm giving it tohim, I'll say, "GoodBoy, you went in the box!!" Tucker knows these commands andwhen he doesn't pay attention after 3 warnings, he gets a squirt fromthe watergun and usually jumps right in just by my picking up thewatergun. Sometimes you have to reiterate or retrain themwhen they start to slip on their good behavior.

Recently, I rarely have Missy or Fauna digging at theirlitterboxbecause of the less litter and because of correctingthem when they start. I think for Missy, she does it forattention whereas Fauna does it for fun. I picked up someflannel washing cloths from the dollar store and Faunawilldig away at that now. (It could just beacoincidence that they'vestopped.)

-Carolyn

One of mine does that now and then, but not veryoften. She knows to stop when I tell her now. Tryusing Yesterdays News, you can just sweep it up and it does not haveall the dust of clay litters and is easier to clean up.

I took pictures of the one mess she made. She seemed proud of it laying beside it.

Ed

This can be a bit of a tricky situation, since Iam experiencing the same problem with Jezebel digging in her box andhave tried all the above solutions. Here is my only conclusion that Ihave been able to draw with the princess. I have to buy her a newlitter box, she assumes she is a cat and refuses to acknowledge thefact that her fancy bunny box is made just for HER..and wants to goback to what she was raised on. How much was that psychic reading againBunnyMommy ?..hehehe.

Best of luck to thee

Back