Quick question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
this may be a little bit of a silly question but what is the average weight of a lionhead bunny?

howie is 4.5 pounds, and i'm trying to figure out if he is small, normal or large for his breed.

i know lionheads are a smallish breed,but i never checked into the weight averages, and after the scare i had i want to keep a closer eye on it.

Lionheads are a new breed in North America, so they do vary in size. The working standard says they should be about 3.5 pounds and not bigger than 3.75 pounds. This is for the show weight and not all individuals will fit this standard. I would say most tend to be about 3-4 pounds full grown.

What you really need to do is figure out what is a good weight for your rabbit. Trying to get him to 3.5 pounds might not be realistic and could make him sick. If you can take him to a vet to get him looked at and discuss what a good weight would be, that would be a good idea. Your rabbit seems to be on the larger side for a lionhead, but that doesn't necessary mean he is fat or unhealthy.

My lionhead is about 4.5-5 lbs. She was 4.5 last time I took her to the vet but I think she has gained some. She seems to be getting rounder lol. My vet wasn't to concerned about it. She did think she was a little cubby. But I agree with the previous poster, it is going to depend on the rabbit. Does he look a little over weight?

no he's not fat by any means, but i want to keep an eye on it so it doesn't drop, if he's supposed to be say 6 pounds i might want to chunk him up after he pulls through this illness.

Back