Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I've organised to have my bunny, Cloud, neutered.

He is an incredibly loving bunny and is without a doubt one of the friendliest, happiest bunnies I know.

He will SPRINT when he hears me call him and will happily lick me for hours.

I have read that a neuter may reduce these behaviours? Is this true? I really hope not, his love is what makes him so special.

One thing that does annoy me, is Clouds tendency to spray urine at me. He does it at pellet time, play time and cuddle time. Sometimes, he'll spray when he hears my voice!

He has sprayed my work uniform, my legs and even my face.

I hand raised him from 3 days old, some of you may remember my posts from when he was born last year :)

I plan to bond Cloud in the future, but if neutering changes his personality, I probably won't. What do you think?

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1439545740.485235.jpg

Spay or neuter always has the potential to change behaviours but it's difficult to say what it will or won't change or how pronounced those changes will be (unless they're hormonal behaviours). I could potentially see the licking behaviour reduce, but I don't see why he would stop running to you when you call him. If I had a rabbit that frequently sprayed me on my clothes and face with urine, I'd be getting him neutered even if it resulted in other behavioural changes. But that's just me, if you can tolerate it then it's not an issue.

The spraying is very frustrating! Thanks so much for the help Azerane :D Now that you mention it, the benefits are probably worth any behaviour changes

Thanks

Mostly its before they get neutered because there hormones act up, but its best to get him neutered. If you support him and love him through the end he will be fine even maybe more loving... If that's possible he already seems like an angel!

You just have to weigh the benefits with the risks. If you don't plan on bonding him and are willing to put up with the spraying, it may not be worth risking a change of behavior, because it can happen. My bun Jake was just the sweetest little guy before his neuter, and now he is still a nice boy, but not nearly as affectionate. But I needed to get him neutered so that I could bond him with his mom and siblings, so would have done it even had I known it would change his personality He was a very calm rabbit anyways, so maybe a really hormonal rabbit it wouldn't affect the personality as much.

It is possible you may be able to train him not to spray, but it's not something I've ever tried.

Back