Questions....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathryn303

Reaction score
I have a few questions about rabbits and stuffto buy for them. I was looking on petco.com for stuff lastnight and I came across a cage for a rabbit. I was wonderingif this would be alright. It is pretty much the perfect sizefor where I want it in my room. Here's the link...http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=493473It's 40.5X18X21, has wheels for easy moving around, and has a door onthe top and the side. So, what does everyone think of it?

I also wanted to know if I could use soft-sorbent for the bedding atthe bottom of the cage. I use it for my hamster and she lovesit just fine. Heres a link.http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=529&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=soft-sorbent&sku=639770&familyID=100574&Like carefresh, it is completely safe, but I was wondering ifthey even needed something on the bottom of the cage? I alsosaw these things...http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=994200

Then for litter I was going to use yesterday's news.http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=8879&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=yesterday's+news&sku=675466&familyID=6343&

And one more question....Is it alright to put your rabbit on a harnessand leash? If so, how would you train the rabbit to not bescared and cooperate with you?

Thanks for the help everyone! :bunnydance:<------(this bunny is so cute!)

Hey Kathryn! :)

That cage isan OK sizefor a dwarf, but you couldpossibly make a bigger cage out of cubes for half the price, andcustomize it the way you'd like. Bigger the better :D. I really lovethe cube cages compared to theonesavailable in petstores. The materialsare fairly easy to find andinexpensive. Easy to build too!

Here's a thread of examples some forum members have made..

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

The litters look fine. I use a wood pelleted litter for the litter boxand towels every where else in the cage. You could probably find horsewood pellets for a lot cheaper than the soft-sorbent. It worksfantastic at absorbing and it has great smell control!

I've never had experiencewith the cage liners, but I don'tthink they are necessary. Rabbits can be litter box trained fairlyeasy. Plus if you have an absorbent litter, then you shouldn't have aproblem :).

Some rabbits don't mind being in a harness and going on walks, but someget spooked and freak out. It's best to introduce it slowly, but it alldepends on the rabbit if they will allow you to put it on them or not.

Hey there,

Yep, I agree with Spring. If you use theYesterday's News in the litter box, then you don't need anything in thecage. They don't need bedding. A towel might benice - but make sure your bunny is not a chewer. If shestarts eating the towel, take it out - the threads are not good for herto eat.

Ok, thanks. I went to petco today andbought everything that I needed. I was seriously thinkingaboutbuildingone of those cube cagesandplanning out where to get everything, but then when we went to petcofirst, I saw the one cage there and decided to just get it. Iwas happy that I wouldn't have to order it off the internet.And after reading about those one cube cages, I figured that afterbuilding one of those cages, it would cost about the same as the petcocage. I guess I'm also just too lazy to build the cubecage. ;)

Even though it will be 2 weeks untill I get my rabbit, I had to set upmy cage tonight and put everything in it. :D I'mpretty happy with how it looks. cant wait untill there willbe something living in it.

Oh, and just wanted to say that I was thinking about naming my bunny Clover. :brownbunny:clover:

Actually building three large NIC cages cost less than one cage like that.

Bit frustrating now. The NIC ones are sooo much better.

Love the name Clover.

Also I used that litter one time. I HATED it. Rabbits pee alot more than a hamster.

Hey there,

Personally I think that cage is much to small for a rabbit to live in happily.

Rabbits can be trained to use leads, 2 of mine do (the other is still ababy). If you get one where the lead can be clipped off from theharness that is good. Let the bunny wear the harness alone to get himused to it, and go on from there.:)

Honestly, I'd recommend taking the cage and thecage liners back. The cage liners are useless- the rabbitwill probably shred them. As for the cage, a big dog cratewould give more space, or an NIC cage. That cage is not veryhigh or very wide. It might be okay for a single adult dwarfrabbit (a real dwarf breed, not a mislabeled pet store rabbit), buteven a mini rex might start getting squished in there and amedium-sized rabbit like a dutch or mini lop would feelcramped. Plus, I greatly prefer cages where the rabbit canget in and out of them on their own during playtime. It makesa big difference in litter training and trust. You'll need tobuild a ramp or steps for this cage.

Even a 42" dog crate would be much better because it would be wider andtaller and easier to clean, and you can easily put a shelf init. NIC cages are way better and less expensive.Lots of newbies buy a pet store cage and then build an NIC cages just afew months later when they get frustrated with the small, hard-to-cleanpet store cages. I'm just trying to save you that money.:)

Harnesses- only one of my 5 tolerates them. One freaked outand nearly broke her back, so be careful. Personally,if they're outside I'd rather keep them safe inside a fence in casethey panic.

JadeIcing-

I decided not to use the soft-sorbent for the rabbit, even though Ialready have it for my hamster. I will put a towel underneaththe little house thing and on the second level of the cage.The other part of the cage has the straw mat on the floor. Igot the yesterday's news litter for the litterbox in the cage.

Michaela-

I didn't buy the harness and leash. Later on, if my rabbitturns out to be very calm and won't mind me putting a harness on her,then I will probably buy the harness and leash. But, for now,I am saving up for the spaying and nuetering when my rabbit is oldenough. :)

naturestee-

I didn't buy the cage liners because I realized that they would beuseless. As for the cage, it really is bigger than it looksin the picture. I know that it might be a little small, but Iam getting a dutch from a breeder and the rabbit will still be veryyoung when I get her. Also, after she starts using thelitterbox in her cage, I will let her roam around my room whenever I'mhome and hopefully after my mom sees what a good bunny she will be, mymom will let her roam around other parts of the housesometimes. (which also means lots of bunnyproofing.;))

When she's still getting used to me and doesn't want to be picked upyet, there is a door in the front of the cage which when opened, itrests nicely on the floor and makes a perfect ramp to get in and outof.

And when I get used to the whole having a bunny thing and she getsbigger, I am planning on making an NIC cage for her. But, fornow, she will be small and I just want an easy cage to start outwith. Plus, I won't mind spending the extra money for mybunny. She's going to be so spoiled once I get her.;)

I'll try to post pictures of her cage and everything that I got herlater. Thanks to everyone who helped me. This forumis great. :):dutch:clover:

Back