Questions, questions, questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to geta litterbox for the bunnies. They live outside in a wood andwire hutch. The floor is wire, and most of the poop goesthrough, but sometimes the pee pools on the wood, especially in theirlittle hidey hole. The wood isn't treated and I am worriedabout mold and rot and stuff. It is very humid and hot in myarea. How do I train them to at least pee in thelitterbox?

Second question...how much veggies and fruits should I feedthem? Which veggies are best? They love theircarrots and lettuce and cilantro combo I have mixed for them.I just don't want to give too much. They have a continuoussupply of hay and pellets and water. I have been giving themtheir veggie combo every morning.

Is it easy to litter train them? Anything like a cat?

Thanks in advance!

Dawn

I was just reading some of the other posts and read that feed withseeds in them were bad? What type of pellets should beused? I use Purina Gourmet. It has sunflower seeds,dehydrated papaya, carrots, and Yucca Shidger and LactobacillusAcidophilus. I also gota bag of Kaytee forfree. Should I just throw that out?

I also read about the fly and vanilla, you had better believe I wentstraight outside and added it to their water. We have flieslike no one would believe!:shock:

I would never had known, and my babies could have been seriously ill! I'm so grateful I found this forum!

Hi Dawn, Usually one would only train them to usea litter box when they were indoors. I am taking it for granted thathay is being placed in, or being pulled into, their "hidey hole". Ifyou can find a litter box or plastic tub/container that can fit inthere, your problem will be solved. Just put a little hay in it andchange it daily.
I put ceramic tiling in my hutch (floor and sides) and sealed it which made it easier to clean.

It sounds as though you are not having any problems with their veggieintake. As long as they are are pooping without getting diarhea, theyare fine. Every Bun is different when it comes to veggies. Some canconsume more without a problem....some eat a slice of carrotand....yuck!

Being that they are out-doors it might be a good idea to add a teaspoonof vanilla to each gallon of their drinking water to prevent flystrike(where the flys lay eggs on the rabbits).

Are you freezing large soda bottle for them? The heat and humidity affects them when the temps go over 80 degrees.

Charlotte

LOL!! You just read about the vanilla!!!!

Yes, throw the Kaytee pellets away!

Just to make sure you know, Iceburg lettuce is abig no! It's bad for them, and can even kill them! The dark leafylettuce is ok, but not iceburg!

Aye, I read somewhere that they're not allowedseeds... we always fed my rabbit sunflower seeds when I was young...Henry also eats them and is fine... He likes peanuts, sweetcorn andsunflower seeds... why isn't he allowed them? he isn't ill oranything.

Delphinum wrote:
Aye, I read somewhere that they're not allowed seeds... wealways fed my rabbit sunflower seeds when I was young... Henry alsoeats them and is fine... He likes peanuts, sweetcorn and sunflowerseeds... why isn't he allowed them? he isn't ill oranything.

One reason is that the seeds are very high in fats and overfeeding canlead to obesity, which isn't healthy for bunny.

Rabbit's shouldn't be fed a diet of primarily seeds because their digestive systems are designed for a high fiber diet.

Pam

I am actually using old gallon milkjugs. Our heat index gets over 110 F. So I have twothat I switch out during the day. But they are under theporch and out of direct sun....so. I also bring them in torun around in my bathroom. They have decided that they likemy bathrug for a litter place. I am going to find a couple oflitter boxes tomorrow!

Thanks for the info and help!

Dawn M.

Latest posts

Back