Questions on breeding shadeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harebell

Reaction score
I am considering starting a ND shaded program sometime in the next year or so, but I wanted to learn more about breeding shadeds. I specifically would like to focus on smoke pearls and siamese sables (or possibly sable points?) but I want to know what I should start out with and what I should breed to what?

I only plan to start off really small with 2, maybe 3, rabbits, so what should I get? I know the basics of the shaded genetics, definite no-nos, and I plan to show the individuals before further considering breeding.

Would it be best to get a siamese sable and a smoke pearl? Would a cross like that produce both colors, or does the siamese sable individual need to carry smoke pearl?

I know I could possibly start with a seal and a REW or Himi, but I would prefer having a shaded to show!

What do you experienced shaded breeders recommend? What is the best way to go about this?

Sable to sable
Sable to smoke
Sable to sable point
Himi to sable
Himi to smoke
Himi to sable point
Rew to sable (a rew from shadeds)
Rew to smoke (a rew from shadeds)
Rew to sable point (a rew from shadeds)

Smoke pearl and sable point are both tweaked genes from sable. Keep the smokes and the sable points separate, since blue point isn't a color accepted in dwarfs, and it doesn't have much of a use other than being a pretty pet.

Sable and smoke are the easier varieties to work with. Sable point is very frustrating, but color and type wise!

Himi and rew are great ways to outcross to bring in nice type, especially since a lot of shadeds seem to be lacking in type. Of the five groups, they're probably the most undeveloped. Out of all the colors, most of the shadeds are probably in the bottom 10 of how developed they are, although I think chin, squirrel, lynx, orange, and fawn easily beat them for that. ;D

Seals are good if you have extra space. They can be shown as their 'true' variety (sable, smoke, or sable point), but they will be marked down for the darkness of color. Out crossing to a similar himi will both clean up smut and lighten the babies to the right color. =3 Black and blue himis are the ONLY ones to be crossed to.

Unless you start out with some hecka himis, a lot of the himi you pull back out of shadeds will be poopy in my experience. Not super strong color on the ears, small 'eggs', and boots that don't carry all the way up. That's my experience, at least. It's backed by some people... But if you start out with good himis, you usually get decent ones back.

Umm. That's some basics. =3

Thank you for all of the information, very helpful! I have a lot to mull over now, there are so many options. :]

I really like the idea of improving type through a Himi/Rew, like you said. I will definitely keep that in mind if I am unable to find many satisfactory shadeds.

Thanks again! If anyone else has anything else to add or mention, I am always willing to listen to opinions :)

lol. I was waiting for ShadedNightsRabbitry to answer. I knew she could answer anything and everything shaded. Glad you found your answers

Teehee! Just send me a message or an email if you ever need help. I'm a shaded freak! =3

Just make sure your rews are self (tan pattern can be okay, but will result in shaded martens), and don't have chocolate/lilac colors behind it.

Himis are usually a great tool, although I'm personally anti-himi in my program. I just don't like them. XD (I pretty much use seal to correct color, which results in 50/50 seal/correct color... They're an easier resale as pets for me.)

And aweee, thank you sarah!

OH! I forgot Torts. They're not technically shaded... And have to be treated special in a shaded program, since they're notorious for causing smut. (just a rumor. I don't mess with torts.) Same with blacks. I'm guilty of crossing to blacks. ;D But then you have to fight seals if they don't carry rew.

Long story short! It's a lot easier to breed shaded to shaded and himi and rew. XD

Thank you!

I am kind of the same as you Megan, I am not the biggest fan of Himis and that probably extends to REWs as well for me, but if that is what it is going to take to improve type, then so be it. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but do you suppose a breeder would lend or stud one out to me? lol Truth be told, I am more versed in the practices of the dog world, and though I've owned rabbits for years and years, I am still new when it comes to some of the breeding practices in the rabbit fancy. :]

Not likely. A lot of people close their rabbitries to studding out because the risk of pasturella and vents.

Best bet is to purchase a doe, and ask for it to be bred, or offer to pay for it to be bred. However, if you ever make it to a WA show I'd be willing to help you out with a stud or two to my shaded boys, provided I can health check. XD And get a baby if they have more than one, provided transport works out.

I figured as much, but at least it is for a good reason. Thanks for the offer! I've been hoping to make it out to a few out of state shows as it were. :) Do you ever come very far east?

I make it to some eastern WA shows, especially WA convention... but much more then that, I usually head south. A lot more of my friends live out in OR and CA then idaho and montana. lol

But perhaps WA convention would be a big enough occasion for you the make a trip over. XD It's one of the biggest shows in WA. it's CRAZY, haha!

Latest posts

Back