Questions for those with giant breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littl3red

Ashtin - Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a Flemish Giant, maybe here in a couple years, but then I realized I haven't really looked into other giant breeds. I would love to have a giant, but I'm not stuck on Flemish, so I have some questions:

1) What giant breeds have you had/interacted with?
2) What were they like?
3) Which is your favorite and why?
4) What types of enclosures do you use for giant breeds, if applicable? I will probably give my rabbits their own room someday, blocked off with a baby gate, with plenty of time out, is this acceptable?

I have a New Zealand/Flemish mix. Sophie is a little over 10 pounds. She was 4 before I got her and unspayed until that time. She still has some behavior issues such as grunting when she's mad that I think are from remaining unspayed for so long. Overall she is a doll though. I love that she will hop into my lap when I'm watching tv. She will boss the cats around as she's larger than she is. Sophie deffinately has her own mind and strong opinions, but a sweet disposition who will do anything for food.

Edit: I forgot, the gorgeous dewlap! I adore her dewlap :)

This is Sophie
SophieButt.jpg

This is where she lives with her husbunny. They get daily run time as well.
083-1.jpg

I think rabbits with dewlaps are adorable, my boyfriend does not agree. :rollseyes When I was telling him about Teddy, he said "She doesn't have a weird fat neck, does she?" I think he's crazy.

I think their green throw rug is 7x11 feet. I need to take some newer pictures, it has changed slightly. I'm always doing little "home improvements".

This weekend I'm doing a bonding session with my pairs in hope of having them all live together. How great will that be to have 6 all together, ranging in size of 2.5 pounds to 10.5ish?

Edit: if they do get along all together they wouldn't all be shoved in this space, they would have the whole room minimum, but the run of the house for most of the day. The only time we would put them in their room would be when we are sleeping.

That's so cool. :) I don't know how much Teddy weighs but she's small, it'd be so cute if she was bonded with a 10+ lb rabbit. :biggrin:

MiniLopHop wrote:
I think their green throw rug is 7x11 feet. I need to take some newer pictures, it has changed slightly. I'm always doing little "home improvements".

This weekend I'm doing a bonding session with my pairs in hope of having them all live together. How great will that be to have 6 all together, ranging in size of 2.5 pounds to 10.5ish?

Edit: if they do get along all together they wouldn't all be shoved in this space, they would have the whole room minimum, but the run of the house for most of the day. The only time we would put them in their room would be when we are sleeping.
I would love to do that with our 5 but the times they are all together, do not give me any hope. 3 are bonded, the other 2 seem to prefer being singles and divas.

I have no idea what Squish is but she is something large at 10.5-11 pounds. She also has an impressive dewlap and was not spayed until we had for 8ish months and we got her as an adult. Or I should say, she got us because we did not want another bunny. I think some of her issues are from being older when spayed. She is territorial about one corner of her cage and pees in front of the other rabbit cage, also leaves piles of poop and always acts like she is starving by the way she runs at her treats and greens but then is slow to eat them. She also dumps her food dish, which is a heavy ceramic dish used under potted planted. She chews on her cage door if it is shut and locked, this does not mean she wants out but that she may want out eventually and does not like it locked.
lately, she has decided I am her person and this has me smitten.

Large breeds are my favorite! I find them incredibly friendly, they act a lot like dogs. I have a Flemish giant, English lops, and a Californian (she's somewhat of a large breed). I really like English lops, they are so full of personality. Large breeds do need more space, but at the same time are less active then small rabbits. Be prepared for big dewlaps if you get a female though!

Peter is a big Chin and he gets into and on every thing imaginable, and he's 10 pounds. Hoss was a White New Zealand that was 12 pounds, a very mellow bunny that never bothered anything. But the real deal is Serena. She's a Checkered Giant, almost 19 pounds, and is the friendliest bunny there ever was, and she's also extremely active. Our bunnies have their own bedroom, 12' by 16'.

Pretty sure she let any and all know who the boss is. She always has a staring contest with the other bunnies, but we don't let them mingle. With us, she's one of the friendliest, loving bunnies we've ever had. I know Fraggles is very aggressive with a certain black cat that will remain nameless--poor kitty!

Hmm... I like how unique checkered giants look as compared to other giant breeds but if they have aggression issues, I'm not sure that's the rabbit for me. I prefer the easy disposition of the Flemish Giants. :)

Hmm... I like how unique checkered giants look as compared to other giant breeds but if they have aggression issues, I'm not sure that's the rabbit for me. I prefer the easy disposition of the Flemish Giants. :)

I don't think they are more aggressive as a breed then any others. They are just very active and for larger breeds which is a little unusual. They have big personalities and seem to like to be the boss. Sometimes that can be tough when they are larger to deal with that type of personality. Flemish giants are much more subdued.

I have a checkered Flemish mix and a French lop. Basil is very active, but not aggressive. Up until today, he was fairly aloof and didn't want to be petted. Today though, he's been following me around and letting me pet him all I want. Lump, my French lop, is extremely mellow and very friendly.

I have a checkered Flemish mix and a French lop. Basil is very active, but not aggressive. Up until today, he was fairly aloof and didn't want to be petted. Today though, he's been following me around and letting me pet him all I want. Lump, my French lop, is extremely mellow and very friendly.

I have a Flemmish Giant (19 lbs). She is a fairly lazy bun. LOVES to stretch out on the couch and watch tv with me. Will happily stay there for hours getting head pets and grooming. She doesn't tend to move fast, can be VERY quick if frightened. She used to be very skittish, but would never lunge or bite.

Lives in an large pen that I built (8' x 4').

The funniest thing is seeing a 19 pound rabbit do binkies. I think the Checkered Giant as a breed are great and unlike the larger breeds they are VERY active. I made a three story condo/maze out of cardboard boxes and was used to seeing Nikki and Bambi on top as they are both small. Imagine my shock when I came in and saw Serena on top. I didn't think she could get thru the last 2 levels as I made the holes fairly small.

Hmmm... "Likes to be the boss," "active," sounds like a certain fuzzy lop that I know. :rollseyes It's hard to keep up with one rabbit bossing me around all day, I could hardly deal with two! What are the French lops' personalities like generally? They look so cuddly. :biggrin:

I have herd from judges that checkered giants are not the best bunnies. They can be agressive. (it has been a while since I talked to a judge about any rabbit let alone a checkered giant).

Back