Questions for getting a 2nd bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arwen

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a second rabbit and have some questions. I have a female spayed rex a little over a year old. Seems like most of you have more than one rabbit. I have read some posts that say some bunnies just don't get along with others and I don't want to get a second rabbit if mine is one of those who prefer to be alone. So....

1. How do I know if she even needs a buddy?
2. Does size matter? Can I get a larger or smaller rabbit?
3. How do I introduce them? Do I need to keep them separate for a while?
4. Does it matter what sex?
5. Anything else I should know?

If there is a rescue near you, you could try some bunny dates. If she responds well, they she might want a friend. If she doesn't respond well after a few different rabbits, then she may not want one. Bunny dates are also good to try to find a friend for her and to let her choose who she wants.

Size doesn't really matter, but a very small and a very large rabbit might have some issues. It can be done though, you just need to consider the needs of both rabbits. I would try to go for a rabbit of a similar size, but don't rule any out just based on size.

I would keep the separate for a bit so the new rabbit can adjust and you can monitor for illness. If the new one needs to be fixed or has recently been done, it would be best to keep them apart until he is healed. When they are ready to start bonding, start on neutral territory. You should be in the area to break up and scuffles or fights. The are should be big enough that they have room to get away from each other, but not too much space as you want them to interact a bit. If you are unsure of how they will get along, have 2 pens so they can sniff through the bars before you let them face to face. As they get used to each other, the bonding sessions can be longer and you can eventually move to the area where they will be living. When you get to the area where they will be living, you should back up a few steps as your rabbit might not like having someone else in her territory.

Generally, males and females get along best. Female pairs can also be done. 2 males can be done, but it is tricky. Both should be fixed and given time for the hormones to calm down before you try too much. As you have a spayed female, a neutered male would probably be best, but a spayed female could also work.

i cant really add anything to kate's excellent reply other than "yay! another black otter rex:biggrin:" i have two of these beautiful bunnies:)

hartleybun wrote:
i cant really add anything to kate's excellent reply other than "yay! another black otter rex:biggrin:" i have two of these beautiful bunnies:)
Sooooo soft aren't they?

Bunny date?:roflmao:How cute! I am assuming that means that they let you take a rabbit home for awhile and bring it back if it doesn't work?

Sounds tough...a neutral territory hmm. I don't think I have anywhere else to put 2 rabbits other than where I have her now..which is in the basement. Or is her territory just her own pen? I have room for another pen.

Bunny dates at a shelter involve brining your rabbit and she can meet some of the rabbits at the shelter. They usually have a room or are for the rabbits to meet and a pen to separate them. The area is neutral territory for both rabbits so you can get an idea of how they will get along. If you find one that your rabbit likes, then you can adopt it. Some may allow a trial adoption to see how they get along at your home.

Neutral territory should be an area where neither rabbit has spent a lot of time. For bonding purposes, it could be a bathroom or living room. It doesn't have to be where they will live, just a place they aren't used to being. You could even do it outside if you have a secure space.
If your rabbit considers the basement as her territory, it might not work. There would need to be some distance between the pens and the area for the new rabbit would need to be cleaned really well so it doesn't smell like the other rabbit. If the pens at too close together, you could have pee wars where one or both of them will pee along the border to mark their territory. Even if your rabbit doesn't mark with pee now, she might if there is a new rabbit in 'her' space.

My rescue recommends housing the two bunnies in side-by-side pens during the bonding period. (if you're nervous they could nip through the pens, Leave a small space between them. Or, put an extra barrier between pens. (make sure they can see and smell though it, though.) They also suggest switching between pens daily, or as often as possible, during this time. (this means leaving the pen/furniture/litter box/toys/etc where they are, but put your rabbit in the new pen, and the new bunny in your rabbit's pen). They think this encourages the rabbits to get used to each other more quickly.
I wouldn't try this if the two rabbits don't already have potential as a couple, but if the short bonding sessions are already going well there shouldn't be too much of a pee war when you do this. When the bonding is complete, the two will already be used to each other's scent in the house, litter box, etc.

I'm working on trying to bond a pair right now, my first bonding.

BethM wrote:
My rescue recommends housing the two bunnies in side-by-side pens during the bonding period. (if you're nervous they could nip through the pens, Leave a small space between them. Or, put an extra barrier between pens. (make sure they can see and smell though it, though.)
Someone gave me this suggestion in order to keep the pens from being pushed together by insistent buns. Throw any plastic soda bottle with the label peeled off between their pens. They can push all they want, it'll just make some noise :) When you're done bonding them weeks or so later, recycle :)

Tessie wrote:
Sorry off the subject but :?

What is a Otter Rex? I have a mini Rex :)I'm new with bunnies .
Your mini is the miniture version of mine! Black otter is the name for the color.

Sooo soft, that is why I got her! I was not a rabbit person until I touched her! I appreciate all the info, I'm not quite ready for another rabbit yet, but thought I would do the research first! That way I know what to do when I get another one.

Latest posts

Back