Questions Cuterebra Larvae

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
[suB]Ok so one bunny they mentioned as a possible bond mate is Miley. As bad as this sounds I am worried about possibly adding a bun who has been through something so horrible. I won't lie I know nothing about that but for several reasons it scares me.[/suB]

[suB]1) Ringo. I don't know that she couldn't have caught something. (This I will read up on.)[/suB]

[suB]2) Ringo again. Would she possibly have a weakened immune system that she would be more susceptible to catching something from him.[/suB]

[suB]3) What are the long term effects? Is there a possibility of a shortened life span? I know there is always a risk but I want Elvis to have the best chance at a LONG term friend ship. [/suB]

First brought in.

little_miley3_tb.jpg
little_miley4_tb.jpg
little_miley1_tb.jpg
little_miley2_tb.jpg

Now

little_miley_20080927_1_tb.jpg
little_miley_20080927_2_tb.jpg

[suB][/suB]

Any info would be great. I am going to go read more about it myself.

We have Fly Strike over here, but not Bot Flies. Bot flies, as I can work out, are something the bun eats and it then comes out through the flesh. with Fly Strike, the rabbit gets a poopy butt and the flies lay eggs on them that hatch, and then go inwards. Or at least, that's what I always thought.

Is that what you were asking?

Bots, warbles, wolves or whatever they are called regionally are nothing more than huge maggots. They are generally seen in rabbits that have spent time outside. The fly lays eggs on wet vegetation such as grass. As a rabbit goes thru, the blade of grass may breach the skin and the egg hatches in the breach. In reality, the eggs can infect the body thru any opening...not only abrasions but nose and mouth too. The primary issue with these infestations are secondary bacterial infections. In the case of a large number of bots, anemia, severe pain and even paralysis are possible. Many sites easily abscess. The proper treatment is removal of the larvae. Extreme caution should be used when extracting these parasites since if the larvae is compromised while still in the host, it causes anaphylaxis and that is nearly always fatal. Removal of bots are best left to a skilled vet. We have one rabbit here that was near death...we removed 24 from her. We have another that was admitted to a wildlife center as a cottontail but is a domestic that had one in a very bad spot on her neck and we had to let that nasty critter birth on it's own. If you deal with the bot(s) and any secondary infection, there is usually no long term problem. Squirrels are quite prone to bots..so if you see a "lumpy" squirrels rolling in dirt....it has bots.

Fly strike is quite different....different fly and thousands of maggots instead of just a few individuals. Fly strike can cause death very quickly. In true fly strike....you can actually see tissue being devoured by maggots. It's really nasty, smells really bad and is very difficult to fully resolve.

Randy

Ok since she has been treated by a vet and everything is removedshe would be just fine.

I don't want to put her at risk for anything else. I didn't know if it would lower her immune system. With Ringo here I tend to be a tad cautious.

If the rabbit had bots that were removed and is treated he should be OK from that. If she has abscesses that is another story...may be long-term issue amd more tx for her. Do you want to take that on???
She IS cute

If you have a vet you trust could you take her for an examination and discuss the options/possibilities/risks, etc, with your vet?

angieluv wrote:
If the rabbit had bots that were removed and is treated he should be OK from that. If she has abscesses that is another story...may be long-term issue amd more tx for her. Do you want to take that on???
She IS cute
That is what I was thinking. Taking on another bunny with possible long term issue scares me. I already have several and of course the potential for long term issues with any of the others. Just KNOWING that she is at a higher risk than say a bun with no past health issues is different. I don't know I may be sounding selfish right now.

You have to think of you and yours before taking on another animal. It is important to look at what you can/can't cope with, and what you can/can't do because at the end of the day, your others rabbits and animalswould suffer if you couldn't cope. So it's not selfish, it's practical and sensible.

JadeIcing wrote:
angieluv wrote:
She IS cute
That is what I was thinking. Taking on another bunny with possible long term issue scares me. I already have several and of course the potential for long term issues with any of the others. Just KNOWING that she is at a higher risk than say a bun with no past health issues is different. I don't know I may be sounding selfish right now.

You don't sounds selfish at all. I certainly couldn't take on another health issue bun and you do more than me.

You could still spend time with her because if she has treatable abscesses and they do continue to treat her she most likely would be fine after that. I was thinking that possibly that you were thinking of taking her now and not knowing how much you were taking on. you can wait a bit and see how she comes along....

Honestly, I doubt that she will have much of any health issues at all once these are helaed. I haven't dealt with bot flies before, but I have dealt with fly strike (in a dog) and once the maggots were removed and the skin healed you would never have known it had happened to him. I agree that it's a good idea to talk to your vet and the shelter people, do more research to make sure, but I think she would be fine.

I thought that she had abscesses in addition to the bot fly problem but maybe you said that she had abscesses from the areas where the bot flieswere removed.

I have had shelter buns with a few bots removed that did not get infected and there is no lingering after effects.
If she is currently being treated with antibiotics for abscesses then that's another story,

Sorry if i got this wrong as I don't have time tonight to reread the thread :)

I just reread the description of Miley that you provided (above) from her shelter. I NEVER read the bottom part which says that she is ready for adoption and is fine but may have some scars.
I think that she is fine to adopt. and it sure sounds like she is without lingering health issues :)

Latest posts

Back