Questions about weird fecals after gas issues...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Last night, my 3.5-year-old Californian, Pinkerton, had major gas issues. (I can't say if he had/has a partial blockage; so I treated for gas, pain, and possible dehydration.)

He initially passed a pile of cecals two hours after his third Simethicone dose; then he started passing fecals and continues passing them, but they're abnormal for him. Some are small; some are misshapen (usually oblong or slightly triangular). They're all very dark--nearly black looking--and shiny. They may smell a little "off" from normal, though I'm not 100% certain. His gut sounds also are louder than normal.

Are his fecals cause for concern--e.g., a possible blockage or gut-flora imbalance? Or since we're 18 hours from the time the issue started, does it make sense to wait longer to see what how his fecals appear? (I'm just worried to wait until tomorrow, when every vet will require a visit to be an emergency visit--i.e., will charge much more for a visit.)

Thank you,

Jenk

I called the vet's office and spoke with one of the vet techs, who stated my info. about Pink to the vet. The vet tech passed on the message that, at this time, Pink probably doesn't need to be seen; if anything changes, though, I'm to call them.

Jenk

I'll pray his issues clear up quickly and soon! (;

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I'll pray his issues clear up quickly and soon! (;
Thank you, Bunnylova4eva. :D I'm praying for the same thing, so as to avoid another vet visit. But if he's still having issues by tomorrow--especially if his fecal output decreases tonight/overnight--I might have no other recourse.

Jenk

Is he leaving them behind in places, or is he not eating them because he's nervous? I swear, some of my bunnies won't eat them if they know we're looking at them. We have to look away or they won't eat them. Sometimes when bunnies feel a little out of sorts they just don't eat all their cecals. Also, his belly pain might make him not want to bend in half to reach down there. I wouldn't worry about it. Just let this gas episode pass and he should start eating them again.

tonyshuman wrote:
Is he leaving them behind in places, or is he not eating them because he's nervous? I swear, some of my bunnies won't eat them if they know we're looking at them. We have to look away or they won't eat them. Sometimes when bunnies feel a little out of sorts they just don't eat all their cecals. Also, his belly pain might make him not want to bend in half to reach down there. I wouldn't worry about it. Just let this gas episode pass and he should start eating them again.
The cecal pile he passed last night was the one and only. The only other oddity I've seen (today) is a thin smear on his pen floor, which I'm guessing occurred when he reached around to eat more cecals.

To answer your question, he's not normally shy about eating cecals in front of us humans. Lucky us. ;)

I suspect that the cecals were ready to "go" (be released), but, as you suggested, the gas episode prevented him from even attempting to eat them.

BTW, I'm fairly certain that Pink is showing signs of barbering on his inner thighs; I suspect that this latest gas episode may have been from a partial blockage--or even pain from fur having trouble passing through but not necessarily blocking anything. I intend to take him to an exotics-only vet to try to pinpoint the probably cause and, of course, stop it.

Jenk

Latest posts

Back