Questions about the pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocoClover

Rabbit Geek
Reaction score
Yes, I know I've posted a lot here lately.

I know some basic stuff about pregnant bunnies, like when to put the nest box in, how to palpate, the gestation period, etc. I'd like to know more about:
- when should you stop taking her out of her cage? I like to hold her (in fact I'm holding her now) and I want to know if there's a time I should stop taking her out.
- does the pregnancy cause extra hormones? She's chew crazy right now and I'm wondering about hormones.
- do pregnant does require more food than usual?
- does she need more excercise than usual, or less?

I'm sorry if the questions are too specific or anything, but I'm new to this. I read lots about it, but the internet doesn't say everything.

As the pregnancy progresses you should be more careful how you pick her up but if she tolerates being held then you could continue.

Hormones can affect their behavior. We have a bred doe now, a first timer, who used to be very sweet. Now she attacks anything that goes in her cage, including your hand! We're really hoping that she goes back to her sweet self afterward.

You feed a pregnant doe the same amount as usual. Once her litter has arrived and she's nursing you'll need to up the protein, and her appetite will probably increase. Exercise is up to you.

- when should you stop taking her out of her cage? I like to hold her (in fact I'm holding her now) and I want to know if there's a time I should stop taking her out.

I don't stop handling my rabbits when they're pregnant.

- does the pregnancy cause extra hormones? She's chew crazy right now and I'm wondering about hormones.

Like people, rabbits' moods and behaviors may change while they're pregnant. It's not usually anything specific, but common changes may be territorial aggression, a bigger appetite, etc.

- do pregnant does require more food than usual?

I don't recommend feeding more to a pregnant doe. Rabbits can easily put on internal fat if they're overfed, which is detrimental to overall health and future production. I prefer to keep breeding does on the trimmer side - not skinny, just fit and healthy. If they start putting on weight, their breeding life (and life itself) will be limited. Of course, that's the same with bucks too.

- does she need more excercise than usual, or less?

The same is fine. No need to change her usual routines.

Thanks for the advice. It's been very helpful. She isn't having any cage aggression now, but she certainly is chew/dig/nibble crazy and I think that has to do with hormones. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back