questions about spay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
Bella is getting spayed on the 6th of september and i asked the vets if they give pain medication and they said they will give her a pain relief type of injection during her op which lasts for 24 hours then after 2 days go back and they give another one.. but is this enough? they also said if i want anything else for her like metacam then i have to pay more (only £9). but will she be ok with only the 2 injections or shall i get metacam also?

My vet sent Agnes home with instructions to give her metacam for 3-4 days after the surgery and it was included in the spay price. She was in pain the first 2 days but then after she was back to her old self. Not sure if she would have been without the pain medication or not....

I'm under the impression that for small animals It's pretty common to do injectable pain meds since it can be hard for them to take an accurate dose through a syringe unless it is flavored since you squirt it directly in there rather than "tricking" a dog or cat by putting it on a piece of bread or something.

I just got Oreo spayed on Wednesday. My vet sent her home with 5 pre-syringed thingies of Metacam. She told me, once a day for 5 days. It was also included in the price of the spay. The first 2 days Oreo was in pain and sat perched up a lot. Last night and this morning she has done sooo much better. She is eating great and pooping great, making for a happy mommy :)

I guess it would depend how difficult it would be to go to the vet's to get it if you decide you need it. I assume you can decide at the time of the 2nd shot, so you can see how much pain she's in then.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
I'm under the impression that for small animals It's pretty common to do injectable pain meds since it can be hard for them to take an accurate dose through a syringe unless it is flavored since you squirt it directly in there rather than "tricking" a dog or cat by putting it on a piece of bread or something.

Agnes took her medicine very easy. Not sure if it was flavored but we didn't struggle at all and she eagerly took it right down.

^Same thing here. Oreo LOVES Metacam. I just put the syringe in her view and she hops right over willing and ready to have her medicine.

But the weird thing is, is that a couple of months ago when i got Buckley neutered they gave metacam for 3 days and included it in the neuter price but now they said that it's easier for the bunnies to take it by an injection?

No the vets isn't far away from we, about a 15 minute drive, so i'll bring her home with just the injection then if she is in pain i will go back for some metacam.. But can anyone tell me what Bella would do if she was in a lot of pain? I know they grind their teeth but is that all they do when in pain?
Thanks for all the info, this is my first female bunny spay! :s

I didn't know then what I know now when Becky was spayed. They gave her the injection but no metacam. She sat all hunched up in the corner of her cage, eyes half closed chattering her teeth. Her misery was palpable. She wouldn't eat. I had to take her back to the vet and they gave her another injection the next day, which helped a little but I had to force feed her for almost a week. I'm sure she would have recovered much faster if she had pain medication.

Sophie was spayed by my current vet and came home with 5 days of metacam. She was grumpy and slow for a couple days but ate by the next morning and never chattered her teeth, just a little hunchy the first night.

Latest posts

Back