Questions about breeding New Zealands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashiahouse

Reaction score
I have four does due in the next week, and I know most of what I need to know, but I still have a few random questions.

1.) Does size have any effect on how long a doe carries a litter?

2.) I know that New Zealands are notorious for large litters, so what happens if all four of my does have no room to move anyone else in? How would I go about attempting to hand rear them?

and 3.) Does anyone know of anyone in the Kentucky area that breeds New Zealands in Red or Black?

Thanks in advance!

Size has nothing to do with gestation. I have saw 8lb does go at day 30 and 32 and saw 2lb does go 28 days on to 33 days. Every rabbit is diffrent but sometimes how the line goes seems to have play.

Without real knowledge you have no luck hand raising. Rabbits arn't puppies, there is not a perfect milk out there that you can buy in a store. If all four does have babies and one messes up you can still make her feed them but you would just keep them in the house. Simply hold her over them once to twice a day until they are full.

I saw a breeder posted about Red and Black? NZ on the Lexington Craigslist yesterday. $65 with pedigree. There are many NZ breeders around here but they may mix, I am not sure. No pedigrees and they do not breed for show.

I agree, size has nothing to do with gestation.And the NZ's can usually raise fairly large litter with no trouble.Wait and see what happens... Patience...

Try PMing DyemondRabbitry. She is in PA and does New Zealands in all colors. She has lots of experience with them.

Best of luck with your upcoming litters! Let us know what happens!

Well, if Tashia needs any help I am just two hours away. I have does with babies and a doe due any time. If it was needed I could foster some. I have "hand" raised babies before and they are the sweetest rabbits. My does have plenty of milk, too, which is great.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Well, if Tashia needs any help I am just two hours away. I have does with babies and a doe due any time. If it was needed I could foster some. I have "hand" raised babies before and they are the sweetest rabbits. My does have plenty of milk, too, which is great.
Cool! That is really so nice of you to offer! You are right though, it's really tough to hand raise the kits... mothers milk is always best. Always good to have a back-up plan!

I knew it was hard, but I was thinking if it came down to it I would like to be prepared..which like you've said..they should be able to handle it on their own. I saw the ad on CL, but to me $65 sounds like an awful lot of money for a NZ..lol

They all should be okay though, they're all third-fourth time mommies..except one, it's her first litter..I guess it's best to just wait and see!

Thanks Sam..I'll keep you in mind! I can't wait to see your babies as they grow..keep photos up!

All of my experience has been with much smaller rabbits..and I was just wondering. Also, Sam, do you wanna sell your Holland buck and/or one of the does? If so, I may try to work something out and pick them up.

Sorry guys I haven't been on in a while! Yes, I've got all the colors and quite often I have people from the Carolinas come up to get stock. Right now we are sitting 3rd with our Whites.

My does average somewhere around 8 in a litter and that's right where I want them to be.

Look at newzealandrabbitclub.com and go under the breeder directory- you may be able to find something.

Also, the national show is in Greenville, OH April 16-19th. There will be lots of stock there for sale I'm sure (though I can't say they'll be cheap since they have to be entered in the show).

I just had a litter of reds this morning. A litter of Blacks and one of Whites yesterday. And a litter of brokens the day before that. One more black due anytime now.. and a couple more whites. The reds are always in high demand and I'm picking up some does at Nationals.

If you've got any particular quesitons feel free to message me anytime.

Yes, Henry is for sale. I am trying to find out if I am going to be able to go to the show the 10th in Louisville. If so all my rabbits I am looking to sell will be sold there.

"I saw the ad on CL, but to me $65 sounds like an awful lot of money for a NZ..lol"

Actually, that is a fairly cheap price. Ours are $75 and up- most competitive ones you will find are atleast $100.

oooooo ok now I understand. Must've read the post wrong. We run into a lot where people go "you want THAT for a New Zealand?! I couldn understand if it were a Holland Lop...." lol.. that always getsme

1) well it depends on how large the litter is. if the litter is large it may be a little longer
2) It is a 50/50 chance that they will live. If one of the Nezealand does have a small litter u can bring some of the babies into that litter.
3)
I have no idea i am from good old wisconsin

Latest posts

Back