questions about 7 day old kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniferdwn

Reaction score
My Flopsy's kits are now 7 days old and seem to be doing great. They are quite chubby little babies and their fur is growing nicely. I do have a couple of questions. When can I take the fur out of the nesting box? Most of it has come out on its own and they don't seem to want to he covered up like they did at first. I'm allergic to it I think because it makes me stuffy and I sneeze terribly when I am around it for long. Next question is about them learning to eat, I've read a lot about it and to be honest several websites have me scared. They make it sound as though many babies don't survive this part of growing up. Can anyone please guide me through this? I know Flopsy will know what to do for her babies as she has been a wonderful first time mom, but do I need to help them or provide any additional food or medicine for the babies?

If it's fairly warm where you are, that is probably why they aren't wanting to nestle down into the fur to keep warm. You still want to keep a little bit of fur in there in case they get cold, but if it is warm where they are at, then you don't want too much fur that they overheat. You will need to keep them and the fur in the nest box for about another week. In a few days they will start to open their eyes, and soon after that they start venturing out of the nest. Once you can't keep them in the nest anymore, clean it out and turn it on it's side(if a hardsided nest box) and put a pile of hay in there for them to nestle into when napping. This all happens around 14 days old. Also if by 12 days all their eyes aren't opened. For the ones still shut, you can wipe very gently with a warm wet cloth to help with them opening, but don't force them open at all. Watch for signs of gooey eyes. They should all be open by 14 days.

Once they are venturing out of the nest, if you have them in some sort of cage, just make sure that the bar spacing isn't too large that they could squeeze through the bars and get stuck or fall out of the cage.

For the transition onto solid food, I found that they can have a hard time transitioning safely onto mom's pelleted food. What I did for my babies was place mom's food dish as high as possible, so that mom could still get to the pellets, but the babies couldn't until they were a bit older. They would occasionally get a few that mom dropped onto the ground, but otherwise they were mostly eating the grass hay, which is really the best thing for them in the beginning of starting to eat solid foods. Just make sure there are small enough stems and pieces for tiny bunny mouths. So encourage lots of hay eating, try and minimize pellet access and consumption for the first week out of the nest, then gradually let them eat a little bit more. But really what happens is as they get bigger they can start to reach mom's pellets, and so that's how they gradually start eating more of them.

Also check their bums at least twice a day for signs of mushy poop and keep it cleaned off so it doesn't cause an impaction at the opening from dried fecal matter. If there is mushy poop, try and reduce access to pellets more, as this is a sign of a bun having difficulty adapting to the carbs and sugars in the pellets. And make sure the babies are eating the grass hay well. This helps with mushy poop and digestive upset better than anything. And don't feed treats or veggies til they are older, at least 12 weeks.

Last edited:
Fairly warm is not even close! Its down right hot!! Lol. The humidity gets us! Heat index is over a hundred most days. But we do tend to keep our house a little on the cool side so I'll leave the fur a little longer. When you talk about grass hay what is that? I buy Timothy hay now. Is it something different? Sort:) y for so ,any questions, I don't know anyone local with rabbits and I like to learn from people that know rather than read a lot f books that will all tell me something different. Thanks for your info!!

Breeding rabbits for 10 years.

Babies do best if you feed them EXACTLY what you feed mom.
Don't change a thing you do. In fact.. if you want to start them well sprinkle hay in their nestbox or even some oatmeal. My commerical breeds I toss a small handful of pellets into their box. You want kits to get started WHILE they are still drinking from mom, her milk will stablize their gut bacteria as they transition onto food.

IF you start separating food out they can't get their guts stabilized well slowly.. and that slow stabilization and development of different bacteria is what serves kits the best. Seriously.

Don't go messing around with it. Just let them come out (should be out the nestbox by day 17 and out exploring). If they are in a wire bottomed cage give them a nest of hay to snuggle in or a nestbox tipped on the side.. makes for healthier more active babies. The more active they are, the healthier they will be.

Give them a good start... and they won't look back.

Oh. Well if it's that hot, they may not need much, if any fur at all in there :) Just make sure they have a spot in there where they can get away from the fur if they get too hot.

Timothy is fine. It's just one variety of grass hay. I use the term 'grass hay' because not everyone feeds timothy.

OK great. Thanks to you both. I feel much better now. I'll keep a close eye on them and mom and will be sure to ask plenty more questions!!

And jbun I hope you knew I was just joking about the temps! Wasn't being ugly. :). Are you a Jennifer? That's ,my first name.

It's all good :) I'm never quite sure where in the world people are posting from if it's not in their profile, so it's hard to know sometimes what temps people are dealing with when answering questions, and some questions require information very specific to the temp of the area.

Funnily enough, my name is spelled the same as yours :)

Back