Questionable Book in School Library

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
I was reading the news online and came across this:

Board: 'Bunny Suicides' stays in school library
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BROWNSVILLE, Ore. -- A book of cartoons will remain, unrestricted, in the Central Linn High School library.

School board members voted Monday to keep "The Book of Bunny Suicides" by British humorist Andy Riley.

The school board has voted multiple times on the issue since October, when parent Taffey Anderson complained about the book. After her 13-year-old son brought the book home, she threatened to burn it.

Publicity about her complaint drew widespread attention, including a letter from the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon warning that removing the book could violate the First Amendment.

The 2003 book is a collection of cartoons showing bunnies committing suicide in various ways.

...........................................................................................................................

I thought it was interesting, I can't say that I really disagree with it or agree with it. I do enjoy some crude humor, but not sure if I would want this "subject" in school libraries; Atleastit's not in elementary or middle schools. Kids are impressionable, even in high school kids, and as a society I think we have been desensitized enough, even if its in cartoon form.

I'd agree that we are quite desensitized. Suicide is a serious matter, but without looking at the book, it is hard to say whether it's really spoofy, or if it's inappropriate (ie, "glamourizing" or condoningsuicide).

Blimey! Well .. not sure we have them in our school libraries here, but someone gave Hollie one of the books one birthday. It's stuff like this:

BunnySuicide.jpg

and ..

bunnysuicide.jpg

I wouldn't call it glamourising suicide .. just daft humour.

I think I have that book!

My mum and dad gave it to me and Steve last Christmas as a present. They thought it would be funny :shock:

Needless to say, we weren't impressed and it's in the bottom of a box upstairs somewhere lol....

It's not just because it's bunnies, I wouldn't like it if it were any other animal. It's meant to be humourous I believe, I just didn't find it at all funny!

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree with the book, it's just not for me. Not quite sure what it would be doing in a school library either lol! :?

Okay, yeah. It's kinda silly. Not glamourizing "suicide" so to speak.

It would have been less controversial for the author to call it "Dumb Things for Buns to Do" or "Dumb Bunnies". Of course, sometimes they want controversy because draws attention to thier book.

I have that book. I find it quite funny. Its just a silly little book of drawings. I don't think people should take it too seriously.

The one I remember that I thought was funny was a bunny, sitting on a stool in te middle of the street. On one side of the street there was a magnet shop. On the other side there was a knife shop....

Its just slapstick type stuff. If you don't have a problem with Tom & Jerry for younger kids then its just the same for slightly older kids.

Its not like its telling people how to commit suicide. I mean... if I went outside and stepped on a spade and it whacked me in the head I don't think my face would go flat, my head would wobble and my teeth would crack and fall out....

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

OMG! i have it. well my brothers book. i find it funny, but in a school libary....no.

it is really like fran said, older tom and jerry.

It's just really dark humor. I'm not sure it's appropriate for younger children, and I don't like it myself, but that's because I really don't think suicide is funny because I have had major depression (yanno, where you think about suicide).

i ent in to i would not call it depression, but like i tought about suicde, but then i tought, my friend, RO, my bunnies/dog/hmster. ect and my faith. so now i dont.

i dont really support this book, i just find it a bit funny.

im on the fence

irishlops wrote:
i ent in to i would not call it depression, but like i tought about suicde, but then i tought, my friend, RO, my bunnies/dog/hmster. ect and my faith. so now i dont.

i dont really support this book, i just find it a bit funny.

im on the fence

I've had major depressive episodes (fortunately, not suicidal), and some people I love more than life struggle with depression. One of them admitted attempting suicidebefore...it wasn't successful, and we never knew. So, I'm pretty sensitive on this subject.

However, I'm with you - the cartoons seem funny. (I have that sort of goofysense of humor.) I do wish they hadn't used "suicide" in the name, though. THAT just isn't a funny subject.

Yeah, my problem with the book is the title word..."suicide"....to me, who's been in that place where dying seemed like the best way out, there's nothing funny about it. I admit that I'm overly sensitive about that subject, tho. It's ok, but not in a school library....

Ooh my friend was just telling me about this book today (I wonder if she read the news story? Must have...)

I have mixed feelings for the book (never read it, but what I heard today, makes me not want to, maybe...). On the perspective that parents might think kids can...well commit suicide, using the ideas in this book, I think it's relatively impossible. I know there's one picture where the bunny staples a dog's tail (in an attempt for the dog to...well you know). I dont see how kids could figure out ways to...commit just by reading ways a rabbit would be able to.

From the perspective of animal lovers, I do find this book a little harsh, and cruel...I dont know of any other animal stories like this, so why should there be one about rabbits?

I disagree about it being an "older Tom & Jerry". Tom & Jerry (mouse and cat) weren't really trying to committ suicide...they were just behaving in ways cats and mouse do... This book, not so much something a bunny would do....

Just my :twocentsworth.

Emily

I think the Author is trying to mock what suicide actually is. Also, putting that in an elementary school. Whoever picks the books that go in there should get some sort of suspension from the job. ( No pun intended )

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
On the perspective that parents might think kids can...well commit suicide, using the ideas in this book, I think it's relatively impossible. I know there's one picture where the bunny staples a dog's tail (in an attempt for the dog to...well you know). I dont see how kids could figure out ways to...commit just by reading ways a rabbit would be able to.
No, I don't think kids will get ideas of how to commit suicide fromthis book.

My main objection would be that it's just an inappropriate subject to make fun of. You know that saying, "Ha, ha. Funny as a crutch!" People say it sarcastically, the point being that you DON'T make fun of people who havea disability. Its cruel and inappropriate. Suicide isn't an appropriate subject to makelight of, either. It downgrades the seriousness of the subject.Peopleget desensitized, too. It's like they forget that suicide involves real people, with real relatives and friends,who are devastated when their loved one dies this way.And, itignores the fact that being suicidal is a medical condition. Mental,yes...but also medical. If you are so depressed that you are suicidal, then you need medical attention.

We have a friend whose 17 year old son shot himself withhis dad's service revolver (dadis a police officer).He and my oldest son were about the same age.One of the saddest days of my life was standing in front of that casket with the boy's mom. We just cried and cried together - it was all just so senseless and wrong. (It's 4 years later, and I'm crying even as I type this!) Needless to say, their lives will never be the same.

So, I say all of that, to say this again: I actually do think the pictures are humorous - but I don't think the title is in good taste. The librarian who ordered the book for the school didn't use very good judgement. And whoever titled the book, REALLY didn't use good judgement.

spacer.gif

border_bottom_left.gif

spacer.gif

I think everyone's a bit PC these days .. (those who have read my thread re. my daughter will know that I don't take suicide lightly) ... but I have to admit, a lot of the pics made me chuckle, especially the expression on the rabbit's faces.

Latest posts

Back