Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
I have had two rabbits in the whole of my life, and i have never heard of a rabbit making a sound, but do rabbits make any sort of noise.

Lately we been hearing this whistling/whining noise,and my husband swears it's Howie, Howie has never made a noise when i am with him, he's always been quiet and sort of shy unless protecting his cage or food, so we don't know if it's him or not, and if it is him,maybe he needs to go to the vet?could he be in pain or lonely?

Sometimes, Toby squeaks. It starts out as a honking/grunting when I first put his food dish down. Once I start petting him (and he's chowing down) he will start to squeak/whimper. It's a cute little noise. It's very quiet, though.

What is happening when your rabbit makes this noise? In what context is your bun using that noise?

it's a weird almost whistle noise,he'll be playing like normal and all of the sudden we'll hear it, it sounds like someone trying to whistle but not quite able to make a sound, he does it when he watching tv, it sounds like a cross between a whistle and a whine,very high pitched,i've never even heard of a rabbit doing this before,maybe he needs his teeth checked?

If he seems relaxed and not in pain, I don't think it would be your bun trying to say that it's hurting. When rabbits are hurting, they normally will be hunched up in the corner of the cage (or somewhere else "safe") and grinding their teeth loudly (well, louder than a tooth purr). I haven't heard a rabbit squeak, but I've only heard Toby's happy food-gobbling whining noise.

Some rabbits "buzz" or "Hum" but I've not heard it. Sounds like he might be happy. Clover LOVES television, so maybe he does too and is just making a happy noise?

Leowyldemi wrote:
maybe whatit is,i just never heard anything like it before!

maybe he's justa happy bunny :dunno
My Dutchess is the world's most vocal bunn. She has a happy noise for everything she likes, especially her food, and when I scritchy-scratch her back. Sometimes it sounds like a low chuckle, or a "bunny purr". Is Howie playing happily when he makes his funny sound? I'd be more worried if he was just huddled in a corner and making noises.

he's usually either stretched out , relaxed and watching tv,or he's playing with his rattle thing when he makes the noise,sometimes he does it when chewing his box,today he spazzed to the other side of the cage and streched his neck out looking at something andhe made the noise,i took it as meaning"hey look,i found something weird!' i changed his bedding but didn't find anything tho so i have no idea? maybe he has a high pitched "voice?" he's eating,drinking and playing like normal so i'm clueless.

I've noticed this with Chalk too! Just a little while ago I was sitting watching TV when I heard a noise. I muted the volume, and Chalk was sat in the hay rack (her little 'nest') half asleep. I noticed as she breathed out, her little lips were wobbling and she was making a sort of 'wooooo!' noise! (she wasn't breathing through her mouth, her mouth was moving sort as if she was talking) Sort of a bit like a cross between the squeaky noise a window makes when you clean it, and an owl hooting. I was flabbergasted! We heard it the other day but couldn't think what it was... It's definitely her. She looked very happy, and sleepy, so I don't think it was anything bad, but man how funny....

Is it something like that? If he's doing it when he seems relaxed and happy and playing, I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about really.... I think it's cute to have a vocal bunny! :D

Bo B, Clover loves watching TV? That's too cute!

Oh yes! Bo and Tony watch but Clover sits and watches intently and absolutely loves music channels and commercials with jingles/music in them.

I think it's so neat that your bunnies have found their voices!

Leowyldemi wrote:
he's usually either stretched out , relaxed and watching tv,or he's playing with his rattle thing when he makes the noise,sometimes he does it when chewing his box,today he spazzed to the other side of the cage and streched his neck out looking at something andhe made the noise,i took it as meaning"hey look,i found something weird!' i changed his bedding but didn't find anything tho so i have no idea? maybe he has a high pitched "voice?" he's eating,drinking and playing like normal so i'm clueless.
:clapping:Me thinks Howie is a very happy bun!

Mouse chalk, that is almost exactly what howie's noise sounds like,only a little higher, like a soft whistle/whine,hehe maybe he's trying to talk to the tv lol

well if it makes him happy, let him make all the noise he wants, he's downright quiet next to my parakeet!

Back