Question: 'Spotted' Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
So I've been thinking lately after seeing a few 'spotted' rabbits.

I am under the impression that tri-color is the broken version ofjapanese harlequins, am I right on that? I assumed it because a lot oflitters consisting of tri-coloreds also have harlequins in them.

So now leads to my question, as I said, I've seen some rabbits that arealmost spotted, not the typical broken pattern. The ones that arespotted almost look like the magpie version of tri-colors, is thatpossible? I mean you wouldn't seen the 3rd color on a tri-color magpiesince they are white as is. I mean I guess they could also be lightlybroken patterned but they just look different from brokens.

Anyways, don't mind my odd questions,I think too much.;)I just want others' takes and opinions on it.

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, lol, because I'm not sure what a magpie is.

But I have spotted bunnies, bred down from the English spotty.

One of my guys (Sky, if you look in my avatar) has some spots, but not loads.

He is called a Charlie (in the UK at least) because he has the fullspotty gene, but did not develop the full marking. That's about ascomplex as I can go, lol.

Not sure if that makes any sense to you though, lol.

Yes, I would imagine that a tricolor magpiewould have very little amount of one color since the other two colorsof the 'tri' color would both be white. I've seen rabbits out therethat fit this theory- but I am no genetics expert. Maybe Pam will comealong and shed a little bit more light on this!

Yes - broken magpies (the equivalentofJap tris)are sometimes entered in the brokenclass. They are not an accepted variety and can often be DQ'dunder "excessive white hairs in colored section" or "tan pattern/martenmarkings" if martens are not an accepted variety within that breed(however, not all magpies are agouti or tan patterns).

Also watch for mismatched or incorrect eye color.

Pam

Thanks everyone, it just made me curious becauseto me, brokens are so much different looking than spotted rabbits. Mostof the ones I mean tend to have small scattered spots in comparison tobrokens who often have a stripe down their backs or who have largespots. Even a lot ofcharlies tend to have large spots, justvery few.

I can't seem to find a picture of what I mean so it's hard to describe to people exactly where I see a difference, lol.

Here's a broken Magpie:

060904%20016.jpg

Source:http://www.rabbits-online.co.uk/Rabbit_Colours_Info.htm

Compare to a broken black:

HL-BknBlack-Sporty-K4H.jpg

Source:http://www.coveredbridgerabbitry.com/4SaleHollands.html

And this is a Charlie (if that's any use to you at all).

[align=center]
Flash90Justatadrelaxed.jpg
[/align]

Yeah Pam, that's what I mean. They have morescattered spots unlike brokens or charlies (I know what a charlie lookslike). To me they look just like my tri-color with the exception thatthere is no orange which is why I brought up the question but Icouldn't find a picture to show what I meant.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't. Ijust know that on this forum there are a wide variety of people with ahuge avariety of knowledge. Sorry if I offended you.

Also sorry for being a person who contributed nothing at all useful to the thread, but I'm glad you got your answer :)

No, you didn't offend me! I know some people maybe confused but I was just saying that I'm quite familiar with what acharlie is and just to get my point across that my question was notabout charlies but a specific type of 'spotted' coat colors. It wasreally hard to explain what I mean without a picture, that's all. :)

Oh yeh, I know what you are asking...now it'sbeen answered, lol. When you were saying smaller spots I just didn'tknow what you meant (as I said right at the word go).

But I'm glad I didn't offend :) And I'm glad you got your answer :)

Flashy wrote:
And this is a Charlie (if that's any use to you at all).

[align=center]
Flash90Justatadrelaxed.jpg
[/align]

In the US, charlies are generally considered to be very lightly markedbrokens with less than 10% color (a disqualification in manybreeds). They generally have no body markings and very lightface markings such as no butterfly or a small spot on thenose. The rabbit above would not be considered a "charlie" inthe USand easilymeets the requirements for ashowable broken pattern.

Good example of a Charlie marked rabbit from:

http://www.lopsandcavies.com/how_to_buy_breeding_rabbits.htm

charliemarked23-06.jpg

Pam

That's really interesting to know.

The breeder that I bought him from was one of only two to breedpedigree English spotty nethies in the country, and he told me that aCharlie was one that did not have the full spotty markings (i.e. thebutterfly around the nose, etc).

I wonder if I have been given wrong info, or if it is different over here.

Thanks for posting that.

Back