Question re: beets, turnips and parsnips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom of Joy and Love

Reaction score
Are beets, turnips and parsnips safe for bunnies?
If they are should they be limited?
Trying to find vegetables of colors other than green to feed our bunnies.

angieluv wrote:
Beet tops can be fed but are high in oxalates
parsnips are OK
turnips (occasionally)
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

I never fed any of these myself; don't know what a parsnip looks like and think that turnips may be gassy
hope others respond to this... :)
Excellent, I never thought to feed parsnips. We have a couple boxes full in the garage as we grew them in the garden this year. Now I have a way to help use them all up :)

Parsnips look like a white carrot. They aren't as sweet as a carrot and need to be cooked for people to eat them.

These parsnips sound like the "good twin/bad twin" thing. They may look the same, but one is evil...

I am going to sleep now. My thoughts are getting weird lol (Gotta love ADHD)

I PMed them already. I PMed everyone from the thread when I got the site link. :)

Well, I PMed the two that mentioned feeding them to their bunners. Degrassi lucked out (their parsnip stock was spoiled). Thank you, divine intervention!

I had never heard before that parsnips are not ok. I've given parsnips and turnips, and my guys (except the new one) all love parsnips. Turnips not so much... they do like turnip and beet greens though. I don't know what to believe as for whether or not parsnips are toxic to all bunnies, but I know they're not toxic to my guys.

Ugh. I wonder why there is so much confusion/conflicting lists? I had read through the list I provided awhile ago and remembered parsnip. I saw this and didn't want anybun to get sick :( Talk about guilt...

Are there varieties of parsnip (other than wild or not)? Maybe that would explain the conflicting info.

Surprised to see parsnips as poisonous for bunnies on so many websites.

Why I started to feed it to my bunnies is because on http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf page 6 it is listed as safe vegetable to feed bunnies. Must be limited due to sugar content. This site was updated this year. The author is a biologist and plus from 2003 to now latest rabbit veterinary medicine knowledge, preparation of slide presentations for veterinary professionals, with collaboration for the translation of the content in various countries.

The picture of the parsnips is like those we found at the market. Our bunnies loved them but don't want to risk hurting them. They last had them over a week ago and showed no problems.

So what do we do?

Back